Can you identify this foot problem in my quail?

USAmma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I just took care of a bumblefoot infection on a quail and then inspected the feet of my other girls. I am relieved that most of them have beautiful feet! But two of them have what looks like hard callouses or even something like plantar warts. One of them was broken open and bleeding. :-( It does not look like bumblefoot as I don't see any black scab, swelling, or infection. Just dry callouses and one had broken open.

I have the quail partly on wire but they also have nice cardboard boxes with sawdust inside and the upper level of the coop (they walk up the ramp) also has sawdust. They only have to walk on the wire when getting to the boxes and food, and there's room for all of them in the boxes at once if they choose. They all seem fine and happy.

When I was working out how best to house these girls I did have a couple of days about 2 weeks ago when I put them on newspaper while I was putting the wire onto the bottom of the coop and elevating it. Before that I had them on litter but it got way too tedius to clean out and it had started to smell bad. They did get poop build up on their feet in the newspaper phase, and I thought I washed them but maybe not? Like I said the other quail seem to have very healthy feet so it's not a flock-wide problem.

Anyway, here are some photos. See what you think and please offer suggestions on what to do about it. THis forum has been wonderful as I am newer to quail. (Chickens are outlawed or I'd have those instead)

Bumblefoot is just a term for infections in the feet. And they do not necessarily have to have that common black dot on the pad. That looks like the pads have become very irritated and infected as well. I think the wire is bruising their feet. What size of wire floor are you using...1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1 inch? I have never been a fan of any wire for quail, and I prefer using bedding because of what you are looking at here.

I would soak these feet in epsom salts every day for a few days. Apply neosporin or some antibacterial ointment and get them off the wire completely. Something soft. Pads are delicate. If the wire has rough spots on it, it will bruise the feet. If the wire is getting cold where you live, that will also cause swelling and caluses to the feet.

Thanks! Will work on them. I'm going to open a quail foot spa. I'm not a fan of wire either, but I tried everything including a week of deep litter and it was just very difficult to muck it out and I ended up with quail poop all over the place. But I think I have provided enough foot rest with the boxes. I have them set up by our patio door so we can watch them, and what started out as a way to get ethical eggs has turned into a bunch of new pets. :) I think the foot problems may have started on the paper because their feet were caked with poo. Like I said the other ones have very nice looking feet. I can't remember the wire size but it's big enough for their poo to fall through but they can walk on it okay and it's not coated with poo at all. The entire bottom of the coop is actually very clean and so are the nesting areas.

Last edited:
Bumblefoot is just a term for infections in the feet. And they do not necessarily have to have that common black dot on the pad. That looks like the pads have become very irritated and infected as well. I think the wire is bruising their feet. What size of wire floor are you using...1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1 inch? I have never been a fan of any wire for quail, and I prefer using bedding because of what you are looking at here.

I would soak these feet in epsom salts every day for a few days. Apply neosporin or some antibacterial ointment and get them off the wire completely. Something soft. Pads are delicate. If the wire has rough spots on it, it will bruise the feet. If the wire is getting cold where you live, that will also cause swelling and caluses to the feet.
Quail foot spa in progress! :) I put in anyone whose feet looked the least bit questionable. I gotta run to work in an hour and will be working all weekend, but will do the daily foot baths and ointment until they get better. I really think the old wire was too small and rough, and then the paper for a few days with poop on their feet. The new wire is smooth and clean (just checked it again to make sure). Hopefully I can get my girls all happy and healthy again.

Yes, poop balls do cause issues. I hope you can get a handle on it. :)

Also, vitamin deficiencies can cause pads to be thin and infect easily. So make sure to keep them on a good quail diet. I think you are keeping them in a good way, but keep the ones with the pad issues on something soft for a while. If this continues, you may need to go back to litter completely. Good luck! :)

Yes, poop balls do cause issues. I hope you can get a handle on it. :)

Also, vitamin deficiencies can cause pads to be thin and infect easily. So make sure to keep them on a good quail diet. I think you are keeping them in a good way, but keep the ones with the pad issues on something soft for a while. If this continues, you may need to go back to litter completely. Good luck! :)
Thanks! If I have to I will go to litter again-- whatever makes my girls happy. And they are on the best diet. Of course. ;-)

Okay just so I don't have to fret about the wire causing them discomfort, I just put newspaper down over the wire and threw a bunch of sawdust over that. Now I can know for sure the wire is not hurting them. I'm such a softie. Gotta run to work now.

Just a update on this thread also- since switching to deep litter the callouses have come off the quail that had them. :) No more wire.

Bumblefoot is just a term for infections in the feet. And they do not necessarily have to have that common black dot on the pad. That looks like the pads have become very irritated and infected as well. I think the wire is bruising their feet.  What size of wire floor are you using...1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1 inch? I have never been a fan of any wire for quail, and I prefer using bedding because of what you are looking at here. 

I would soak these feet in epsom salts every day for a few days. Apply neosporin or some antibacterial ointment and get them off the wire completely. Something soft. Pads are delicate. If the wire has rough spots on it, it will bruise the feet. If the wire is getting cold where you live, that will also cause swelling and caluses to the feet. 

How do I book a spa day for my girls!

Thanks for the epsom salts info. I need to do this with my girls.

Back
Top Bottom