Can you incubate eggs without an incubator?

Bruiserdog99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Idaho
Hello i was told that you could incubate eggs with a heat lamp is this true? i kinda wanted to try this with some of my coturnix eggs in a 10 gallon aquarium with straw. could you use just a heat lamp how would you get the humidity correct? what it take about the same time as an incubator?

I know someone on here used an aquarium before, I don't know what their hatch rate was though. I think I read about someone who used a cardboard box before too, it would probably hold heat a little better.

If you really want to make your own, a Styrofoam cooler would work good since it's insulated and the outside temp won't affect it as much. Other options can work, but what you want is something that is well insulated and can keep moisture in well. Oh, and for humidity, I used a sponge inside of a small dish of water. Make sure you have a good thermostat and humidity gauge, you'll be checking it a lot.
smile.png

Thats a great idea. i will try that i will post my hatch rate and kinda of ''test it'' my only concern with a styrofoam cooler is wouldnt the styrofoam melt? Thanks again.

There are plenty of people who make their own Styrofoam incubators and do quite well. I made one out of a plastic tote and wished I found out about the Styrofoam coolers first. There's a whole section dedicated to homemade incubators, and many are Styrofoam. I think if you check around the incubating and hatching threads you'll find it.

ETA: Ah, I found it under the learning section. I'll try to add a link to it, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures

These should help you get some ideas.

Last edited:
The styrofoam doesn't melt a bit and it is a piece of cake to build. I ended up getting a "Hercules" cooler from Walmart for $8 and it had really thick walls and was big enough for two light bulbs. I used the modified water heater thermostat and it kept the temp right on target.

I ended up making one and it turned out pretty good im gonna try some different designs heres the video i watched and my question is could i put the eggs on the bare styrofoam and put a dish with a sponge in it for the humidity im hatching quail so i didnt want to use hardware cloth because there little feet would get stuck the smallest i could find was 1/4 in squares so i think thats to small heres some picks those eggs are just duds i threw in

Heres the video i watched
. Could i just put them on the bare Styrofoam any ideas on what to put for the bottom? thanks

Check out my video@
. You can see the 1/4" hardware cloth works good. Their feet are huge comparatively speaking. Very long toes keeps them from falling through and it keeps them from walking in the poop.

The trick for me was getting the thermostat set at the right temp and then getting the humidity right at the two levels (Pre and lockdown) before I set the eggs so that I knew what to do when it came time to lock it down.

What is that white thing stuck on the side of yours?

Back
Top Bottom