Can you just keep one pet chicken inside?

Can I keep just one chick inside?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No you need 2

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Dec 17, 2017
North Carolina
Hello everyone,
if I am getting a silkie chick to raise and grow to be a in house chicken do I have to get two seramas or silkies or can I just raise one I’m asking because someone said their chick died because it was alone no rush I’m just curious thanks everyone!!

As chick you may want it to have a friend. I have heard of people having one pet chicken and not even owning any others. I had a hen hatch out one chick and she raised it alone. Now that chick is an almost three year old hen. Some people put diapers on their chickens.

Might want a partner,but if you have other pets she may just end up growing a bond with them,or simply just be accompanied by another something in the house,what has made you wanna bring a chicken in the house?

I would also recommend getting 2. Chicks are generally really needy of warmth, security, and companionship. Unless you have nothing better to do, it would do better with a brooder buddy. They do get less needy as they age, so if you could get one that's a little older it might be ok to be by itself.

My mom has a house chicken. A little black serama, who got too old to breed. She wears diapers made from toddler socks, with a little paper condiment cup inside to catch the poo.

I agree with the others. Chickens are flock animals and need friends. However, I did know someone with a house silkie that lived with dogs and cats. She thought she was a cat.
Another issue is that indoor chickens can't do their favorite things like dust bathing and scratching in the soil for food.

chickend are social. Could imagine mine being without each other. Do you have other house pets that could be a friend. Might not be bad then. I think chicken companionship is ideal but if if they have companionship in general I think they could be happy still

Thanks so much everyone! I do have 2 dogs and a cat but one eats chickens:barnie:hitbut sadly he might be passing away In a few years what I meant by house chicken(s) is I would get one well now two and they could spend most of the day outside in a smallish coop and run and the rest of the day from when I get home inside! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom