can you keep a hen/coop in a basement?

wanteggs

Chirping
7 Years
May 4, 2013
I live in a subdivision in a rural area of NE GA. We have an HOA. The yards of the homes are large, 1/2 up to almost an acre, but it is against our HOA 'rules' to have chickens. I seriously, badly, want to have one hen, for fresh EGGS. We went on a field trip a few wks ago to a full on farm and the woman there, told me that it'd be fine to have just one.

1. Do you think they'd have any power or say (if the HOA found out..by a neighbor nark) with the fact that the chicken is living INSIDE our basement/home?

2. If y'all think it'd be ok to try this, would having a hen in a coop, in our basement, be a ROYAL MESS?
a. How stinky (if at all) would ONE hen be?
b. How much of a mess would I be in for on a daily basis, say, on the floor (overspill?)?
c. What about flies? Our basement is a huge walkout one, but we hardly ever open that door, so it's not like flies would have access to be coming in daily etc.
d. How loud are AMERAUCANA'S when or before laying an egg? And for how long do they sing after/before egg laying?
e. IS THIS JUST A CRAZY IDEA?? I WANT FRESH, DAILY EGGS SO BAD!
jumpy.gif

I asked about the Ameraucana because I homeschool my boys and recently I bought an incubator that holds 7 eggs, with a turner. Now, I am researching online (here: http://www.efowl.com/Ameraucana_Chicken_Hatching_Eggs_p/1225.htm ) which type chickens are the most quiet. Also, on this forum, I found some posts where ppl have mentioned this breed specifically as being very friendly and on the quieter side.

If it works out that I decide to try and keep ONE in basement, then we will keep one out of the (hopefully successful) incubator experiment. If not, we will just sell them all, I guess. Is it easy to sell chickens?
hide.gif

Please help me, I am completely new at this!
barnie.gif

I sometimes live in an area that doesn't allow chickens either. I kept my chickens in my basement for 3 months since they were babies and it was below freezing outside. I have four. They are very stinky, and I had to clean their coop in the basement every week (sometimes in the middle of the week if they knock over their water). Now chickens are very social creatures, so you are better off with two then one. If you have two, they are safer, happier and healthier. You don't have to get your first hens from an incubator. If you look online, they sell 2 day old chicks in haterys. They sent them to your post office and you pick them up. I have Rhode Island Reds, and I do not suggest them. They are beautiful and good lyers but they are mean and loud. It is easy to sell/ give away females, but roosters are very hard. A lot of people arn't looking for roosters as pets, so if you want a rooster to not end up as someone's meal, I suggest you have someone in mind to take an unwanted rooster. just got my first chickens a couple of months ago, so I know how it is like. Mine are now outside, and are beutiful. I got them five days before christmas and they will begin laying soon.

Last edited:
First and foremost, chickens are flock birds. You really need three or more for them thrive and be happy. I am not aware of anyone keeping only one.

Second, they are outside animals. There is a great amount of information available showing that living creatures require direct, natural sunlight in order to live a proper, healthy life. in terms of humans, you can look up "night shift health risks" for ample information. Albeit this focuses on human work habits, many believe it is valid for indoor animals as well. if you look at cats, they absolutely love laying on window sills and such. This is all very important to yhink about, because chickens' laying cycles are controlled by daylight hours.

Raising chickens for eggs generally isn't cost effective. Most people spend a minimum of $100 on their coop, while many range from $500-1000. At the minimum, price for that, you are talking about 25 dozen eggs to break even, excluding food costs, with fresh eggs sold at $4.00 a dozen on Craig's List. You might get a half dozen eggs a week out of one hen, in ideal circumstances. That's 50 weeks before you can even thinking about just breaking even.

Most of us keep them for far more than just eggs, but they have to be outside and free ranging to realize the full benefits. They are bug and weed control, they fertilize the yard, they decrease your house's food waste by eating table scraps, etc. It is a fabulous endeavour, but your plan takes all of that away.

Personally,I despise HOAs. They are the hands of Satan and have no place in modern society. I would begin a huge battle over the issue, especially knowing you have a huge plot of land. Dogs are louder and more obnoxious than chickens, plus they are far more dangerous.

In answer to your other questions...
01.) It depends on your CC&Rs. Some specify regulations for the contents of garages and such, butvthrbasement is probably less or not regulated. You would have to check.

02.) If you design the coop correctly, you could have no overspills or messes. A properly cleaned coop, maybe once a week, should have no smell at all inside. A moderately maintained coop outside should have no smell at all. A smell coop is signs of very poor flock management. Look in to unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and fermented feed to help limit the smell of poop, also.

03.) Flies should not be a problem, either. They require moist poop to breed in, so a dry, clean basement would be a non-issue.

04.) The egg song is the only thing my neighbors can hear from my flock.we live on a 10,000 square foot lot, and they are free-ranging in the yard. Inside the basement, nobody else will hear.

Chickens need to be kept outside in a coop in a flock! If you desperately want fresh eggs then check around your area for a farmer or someone in a rural area that has chickens and sells eggs. You could barter if you don't want to pay or even talk about helping to tend to the flock each week with a dozen eggs in return.

Chickens need to be kept outside in a coop in a flock! If you desperately want fresh eggs then check around your area for a farmer or someone in a rural area that has chickens and sells eggs. You could barter if you don't want to pay or even talk about helping to tend to the flock each week with a dozen eggs in return.

I wholeheartedly agree. It would be cruel to confine a chicken to a basement. Think of how pasty and unhealthy you'd be if you lived in a basement. Besides the social and health aspects, chickens need to be able to scratch and forage in the dirt. You're talking about keeping them in conditions similar to the poor battery hens that most of us abhor. That's a big reason why many of us have chickens to begin with; to have organic, pastured eggs from humanely raised chickens. Yours will be neither free range nor pastured.

I, too, am in NE GA and can assure you there are fresh pastured eggs from happy chickens all over. You have to look. See if you can find a local feed store in your area and see if they can direct you to someone who has happy chickens and eggs, not frankenchickens, as you propose. Or, you could move.

Last edited:
Yeah, one or 2 great points here. That is why I posted.

My intent was not to have 'frankenchickens'. That just comes off as ridiculous and evil-sounding. Not a very welcoming reply to someone's FIRST post ever-on here.
somad.gif

My basement has many windows and double walkout doors with windows in them, plenty of sunlight.

I have children whom would give it/them plenty of attention, it/they would not be living in a dark, uninhabited 'cave'. Moving is not an option.

I will very likely let this idea go.

Demosthine, yours was the most helpful. You explained to me the cons of my idea w/kindness and also you continued on with helpful tips in case I was still going to follow thru with my 'unrealistic' idea. I knew in my head (and heart) that it wouldn't work out...and that is why I came on here, to either have my idea affirmed or nullified.
Thank you to the poster/s whom replied (Demosthine and Sadie) with rational, non-judgemental, NON-DRAMA posts.
thumbsup.gif

I live in a subdivision in a rural area of NE GA. We have an HOA. The yards of the homes are large, 1/2 up to almost an acre, but it is against our HOA 'rules' to have chickens. I seriously, badly, want to have one hen, for fresh EGGS. We went on a field trip a few wks ago to a full on farm and the woman there, told me that it'd be fine to have just one.

1. Do you think they'd have any power or say (if the HOA found out..by a neighbor nark) with the fact that the chicken is living INSIDE our basement/home?

2. If y'all think it'd be ok to try this, would having a hen in a coop, in our basement, be a ROYAL MESS?
a. How stinky (if at all) would ONE hen be?
b. How much of a mess would I be in for on a daily basis, say, on the floor (overspill?)?
c. What about flies? Our basement is a huge walkout one, but we hardly ever open that door, so it's not like flies would have access to be coming in daily etc.
d. How loud are AMERAUCANA'S when or before laying an egg? And for how long do they sing after/before egg laying?
e. IS THIS JUST A CRAZY IDEA?? I WANT FRESH, DAILY EGGS SO BAD!
jumpy.gif

I asked about the Ameraucana because I homeschool my boys and recently I bought an incubator that holds 7 eggs, with a turner. Now, I am researching online (here: http://www.efowl.com/Ameraucana_Chicken_Hatching_Eggs_p/1225.htm ) which type chickens are the most quiet. Also, on this forum, I found some posts where ppl have mentioned this breed specifically as being very friendly and on the quieter side.

If it works out that I decide to try and keep ONE in basement, then we will keep one out of the (hopefully successful) incubator experiment. If not, we will just sell them all, I guess. Is it easy to sell chickens?
hide.gif

Please help me, I am completely new at this!
barnie.gif

I would try to get the rules of your HOA changed. Hens do make noise when they lay- the egglaying song. So it is likely you would be found out. I wouldn't recommend keeping just one chicken, as they flock, and become desperately lonely by themselves.

After you get the rules changed, I would start with the nice little flock of 7 you dream of- but I think it would be easier to change the rules before you have chickens (maybe would have a better chance of passing???).

Demosthine, yours was the most helpful. You explained to me the cons of my idea w/kindness and also you continued on with helpful tips in case I was still going to follow thru with my 'unrealistic' idea. I knew in my head (and heart) that it wouldn't work out...and that is why I came on here, to either have my idea affirmed or nullified.
Thank you to the poster/s whom replied (Demosthine and Sadie) with rational, non-judgemental, NON-DRAMA posts. :thumbsup

I always try to be productive and positive. There is far too much hostility in this world. Besides, it helps to explain the reasonings why something won't work. There are many ways to raise chickens, and some are more natural than others. It doesn't make a particular way right or wrong, it just may work better for a particular person.

Some people treat their chickens as pets, buying diapers so they can be in the house or putting clothes on them. I despise that idea and think it's ludicrous, but others love it. I have no right to judge them.

More and more people across the country are fighting the limitations and bans for backyard poultry. This last week, one of the larger outlying suburbs in mg area, Chandler, started holding public meetings to discuss changing their laws. It is becoming increasingly popular to fight this over-regulation. I still say this is your best route.

Good luck with whatever route you take!

I had not thought of approaching the HOA about changing the rule. I guess I always think that it's virtually impossible to win with these things.
Yes, there is far too much hostility in this 'country' (world as well) right now. And your approach, that of rational reasoning vs. drama, was very effective in keeping my attention and gave me a respect for your opinion.
Thank you again.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom