Can you keep chickens and ducks together...

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
In the flood of options and decisions that come with getting ducks, one thing sticks out: Would combining the chicken and duck flocks be a bad idea? I’ve done it before... it wasn’t that hard. I never had problems, but it’s been a while. I need a bigger coop for the chickens, and that’s obvious, so combining the flock would allow me to add roosts to the large duck house and therefore create the perfect easy to clean building that would be big enough for all the birds. This would also give both groups much more room, and therefore allow me to expand the flock in the future if I want to.

Thoughts? Would pros out way cons in this idea, or the other way around?

Last edited:
How big is your run/or how big is it going to be?
I don’t think you are getting any drakes, so I don’t think that’ll be a problem. The only thing I would worry about, since you keep yours in a run, would be the mud. My duckies make a huge mess with water, but a larger run helps a LOT with that.

How big is your run/or how big is it going to be?
I don’t think you are getting any drakes, so I don’t think that’ll be a problem. The only thing I would worry about, since you keep yours in a run, would be the mud. My duckies make a huge mess with water, but a larger run helps a LOT with that.
Yes. I’m buying a 9x24 foot run which would be attached to my existing 9x20 foot run to create an L shape.

Yes, mud is there, but it’s something I would have to deal with anyway so I’m not worried.

4 female ducks would be added to my flock of 7 female chickens.

Yes. I’m buying a 9x24 foot run which would be attached to my existing 9x20 foot run to create an L shape.

Yes, mud is there, but it’s something I would have to deal with anyway so I’m not worried.

4 female ducks would be added to my flock of 7 female chickens.
Ok. I think that sounds good. Are you going to have the ducks pool inside of their run?

Ok. I think that sounds good. Are you going to have the ducks pool inside of their run?
That is what I’m still figuring out. I want to build them a nice pond with waterfall and such but I haven’t decided whether or not I’ll be putting that inside the run or put it outside and build a small one inside.

That is what I’m still figuring out. I want to build them a nice pond with waterfall and such but I haven’t decided whether or not I’ll be putting that inside the run or put it outside and build a small one inside.
I don’t know if I would put a pond inside. Chickens might try to take a swim, lol. Plus with a pool in there, I would worry about it getting too muddy.

I don’t know if I would put a pond inside. Chickens might try to take a swim, lol. Plus with a pool in there, I would worry about it getting too muddy.
I would too, and I think I’ll put the nice pond outside, while putting in a smaller not as nice pool in it. Previously, I’ve never had chickens try to “take a swim” in the duck pool, but just in case, it wouldn’t be as deep as the one outside the run.

I would too, and I think I’ll put the nice pond outside, while putting in a smaller not as nice pool in it. Previously, I’ve never had chickens try to “take a swim” in the duck pool, but just in case, it wouldn’t be as deep as the one outside the run.
Oh, ok. Maybe a small kiddy pool in the run?
Or, maybe not have one in there at all, since it would take up room in the run. How often would they be able to go in the larger pond?

Oh, ok. Maybe a small kiddy pool in the run?
Or, maybe not have one in there at all, since it would take up room in the run. How often would they be able to go in the larger pond?
Probably once a day.

I hate kiddie pools, they’re ugly and don’t function well. I’d buy a cheaper smaller pond liner and bury that. The runs will be pretty large so I’m not too worried. It would only be a 6x6 pond inside.

Back
Top Bottom