Can you keep Ducks in a coop?

Those are both great looking coops! Lilearthqauke, where did you order yours from?

I ordered mine from Amazon, here is the link and you can also see my review: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pet-Products-Barn-Chicken/dp/B00CMFVP6Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It is the Old Red Barn but I painted mine to match my house. I noticed there are many other coops now on Amazon so your options just got broader!

I have just built on to my coop (I call it the annex) and had to replace the roof. In hind site I wish I'd built the whole thing from scratch and it would be tall enough for me to walk into for easier-on-my-back cleaning.

@lilearthquake adorable coop! I see you have some bedding in there....how is that working? Do you just add more to the top and rotate it? I am thinking about trying the deep litter method but am hesitant because my ducks poo is almost never solid, due to their large consumption of water. They are currently on concrete, which I hose out every day...but are now making mud puddles where grass use to be
1f615.png

Hi emmajane07
Thanks, I'm using wide pine shavings. I sift, scoop and rake everyday, heavy sigh. I've often wondered about the deep litter method but I want to see (smell) it first. Wish I knew someone I could visit to know how to do it correctly.

I also use a chicken coop spray to clean the coop when its empty. I can't remember the name but it's a small spray bottle for $10! But it really works to freshen and remove the dried on accidents that sometimes occur on the walls. And vinegar to clean everything.

I also use food grade DE (diamatacious earth) every week on the shavings and around the coop. Only use food grade. Keeps moisture down and bugs away but you have to use it consistently for best results. Not sure I spelled it correctly either fyi.

The floor in coop is outdoor grade plywood that I had to add because it didn't come with a floor. I also painted it. I do not feed or water inside the coop. I purchased StallDry to put down underneath the shavings because I read about someone else using it but I have not tried it yet. Not sure what I'm waiting for I guess I'm concerned it will hurt the ducks even though I've been told it is safe.

I'm envious of chicken owners who say they only clean 2 X a year, but then again I haven't seen their coops first hand to know how well smell is controlled. My coop is right next to my house so I want it as clean as possible for myself as well as the ducks. Let me know if you have any suggestions or insight as well please.

@thechxwhisperer

Forgot to mention, this coop doesn't have a floor. I guess most of them don't because chicken owners move the coop around. That just isn't safe in my book. Not when fox and raccoons are known to be such good diggers.

We built a frame with outdoor grade lumber, then applied outdoor grade plywood to the frame, then painted the plywood with several coats of paint for easier cleaning, then screwed the coop on top of it.

@lilearthquake

I've been doing a lot of reading on the deep litter method. It seems you don't want to use DE because you want the necessary bugs and such to help break down the materials in the coop. In the end you should end up with a nice compost material. PDZ is used to keep the smell down and the moisture minimal. But, some moisture is needed to keep the material activated. I also wish I could visit a coop to see how it looks and smells.
1f615.png
. I have 6 chicks and 3 ducks coming next week, I went ahead and put some shavings in their brooder and have some PDZ on stand by...basically going to try a mini deep litter in the brooder and see how it goes. And, like you said...I also try not to feed and water I the coop, that helps tremendously with the mess they make.

The new coop I'm building is much bigger. I also want to be able to walk I to mine for easier clean up. I am hoping the deep litter works and I'll be able to keep food and water in there. I also, plan to put sand in death the "eating area" to help soak up the water mess and contain it.

Back
Top Bottom