Can you keep Ducks in a coop?

I do, they go in there on their own every night so I just shut them in with the chickens and they snooze in there. Easy peasy.

Some of it depends where you live,
I've lost 10 ducks last Fall to coyote, bobcat and raccoon. I've set traps and snares, but only caught a turtle, possum, and one of my own ducks. The best predator prevention has been a solid coop (aka "The Quack Shack") and putting the flock away at dusk.

Predators are horrendously more active in the winter months judging by the amount of footprints left around the property.
Good luck,
Rich

I learned the hard way about predators I didn't know I had after I lost 2 ducks to a fox. I ordered a small coop after that. My ducks have always been used to me "herding" them from behind with my arms extended out so it was easy to get them in.

If you do a pre-built coop like I did, keep in mind they are usually built for chickens so the entrance is tiny, it may have roost bars or even a narrow ramp going up to the enclosure. Narrow ramps are probably the most difficult for ducks; since they sway side to side when they walk a wider plank is best. They are capable of climbing but why make the transition harder than it has to be. I removed all the roost bars in my coop.

Here's a pic of my coop... and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

My ducks go in the coop with my chickens (who are now gone from predators) The ducks go right in the coop at dusk like chickens do. They obviously don't go up to roost like chickens, so the ducks have a little "cubby" area in the coop (underneath the roosting area)

@lilearthquake adorable coop! I see you have some bedding in there....how is that working? Do you just add more to the top and rotate it? I am thinking about trying the deep litter method but am hesitant because my ducks poo is almost never solid, due to their large consumption of water. They are currently on concrete, which I hose out every day...but are now making mud puddles where grass use to be
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom