Where do ducks want to live?

Money Pit Zoo

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
I have two 5 week old Pekin ducks that I need to make living quarters for and I am hoping to get some ideas on what would make them happiest. Currently they free range and have a little stock tank pool for the day and I shove them in a small coop at night. Originally I thought about making them their own predator proof coop (I have other needs for the one they currently use) and let them free range or have their own pen during the day. (I also have 20 chickens). But they hate going in the coop. I’m wondering if they would rather live more like wild ducks and sleep on the water or outside. Therefore, would they like it better if I made a predator proof pen large enough for their 63” round pool and a run in shelter for nighttime and they free range during the day? For reference, I live in the San Antonio TX area so extreme cold or excessive rain isn’t a big worry.

A covered pen and run in type shelter should be fine given your weather. Ducks like to sit out in the weather unless it is really bad, but do need protection from predators.

Back
Top Bottom