Can you look at this necropsy report and tell me what you think?

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I had a hen die very suddenly, so had my vet check her out and send samples to a lab.
This is the report. I've since treated with Corid.

The final diagnosis at the bottom of the second page pretty much sums it up. She had multiple problems going on besides coccidiosis.
Sorry for your loss.

Yeah, I get the coccidiosis, and the fatty liver because I gave too much treat stuff. But the other stuff is what is confusing me. What could have caused the other issues? How could I have prevented the other stuff from happening? Is it likely that my other girls have the same stuff? And it even says something about an injection site, but I never gave her any injections. And the word Mareks is disturbing. She never showed any signs of that

Mareks can cause impaired immunity to many common diseases because of a low white blood cell count. The word "lymphatic" in several areas of the report can be associated with Mareks disease or avian leukosis. Are they doing further studies to check for those? That can cost extra in necropsies, from what I have read.

@JCE123 , sorry for your loss... The puzzling part is the injection site reaction comment. Had you ever given her a shot before?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Is this the hen that died?
My silkie is not great. We think it might have been Marek's disease, but not entirely sure. This is about 2 weeks since I posted this. She is alive and well, except that she can't walk much
hmm.png

But she has not deteriorated in any way past that. We have been nursing her pretty intensively, she's had an antibiotic shot and is finishing a week of steroids. I've been giving her hypericum (herbal remedy stuff), vitamins, electrolytes, etc. the works. I believe that she is permanently paralyzed. Now I need to decide if I can deal with keeping a handicapped chicken!
She is a showgirl naked neck silkie, can see fine. Ridiculously adorable and sweet.
I do hope yours receivers better than mine! Good luck!
-Kathy

Is this the hen that died?
-Kathy

No, not her. That silkie is ok though. I do think it was a peck too many to the head for her, she walks and runs now, but does still wobble and tip over occasionally.

@JCE123
 , sorry for your loss... The puzzling part is the injection site reaction comment. Had you ever given her a shot before?

-Kathy

I never gave her an injection, but I got her at 12 weeks old. The girl that gave her to me is a vet and never said anything about any injection, and I did ask about vaccinations, she said she got her birds from hatcheries that did day old vaccines.

I'm going to contact my vet and see if there was any addendum sent to this report yet.
Ugh, Marek's or Lymphoid Leukosis, both sound like doom for my flock. And I have two more laying hens paid for and being delivered in a month. I wonder if I need to try for a refund.
It's just so weird because she never acted ill at all, I would have called her the happiest hen I had!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom