Can you look at this necropsy report and tell me what you think?

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I had a hen die very suddenly, so had my vet check her out and send samples to a lab.
This is the report. I've since treated with Corid.

Is this the hen that died?
My silkie is not great. We think it might have been Marek's disease, but not entirely sure. This is about 2 weeks since I posted this. She is alive and well, except that she can't walk much
hmm.png

But she has not deteriorated in any way past that. We have been nursing her pretty intensively, she's had an antibiotic shot and is finishing a week of steroids. I've been giving her hypericum (herbal remedy stuff), vitamins, electrolytes, etc. the works. I believe that she is permanently paralyzed. Now I need to decide if I can deal with keeping a handicapped chicken!
She is a showgirl naked neck silkie, can see fine. Ridiculously adorable and sweet.
I do hope yours receivers better than mine! Good luck!
-Kathy

A new fecal exam of my birds comes back with hetarakis or ascariasis and very few to no coccidia. My vet recommends piperazine. I have safeguard and rooster booster on hand, and will order wazine. Opinions on which to use, how much to use, withdrawal, etc?
If I were you I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days, or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 3-5 straight days given orally to worm the chickens. Heterakis worm is also know as cecal worms. Here is a good article from Merck Manual:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

A new fecal exam of my birds comes back with hetarakis or ascariasis and very few to no coccidia. My vet recommends piperazine. I have safeguard and rooster booster on hand, and will order wazine. Opinions on which to use, how much to use, withdrawal, etc?

Cecal and/or large roundworms. Hit them with the safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2cc orally undiluted to each chicken for 5 days straight, 14 days withdrawal after the last dosing. Piperazine wont treat cecal worms. The Rooster Booster takes too long to treat and you wont know if they'll eat enough of it to be effective.

Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of cops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)

The final diagnosis at the bottom of the second page pretty much sums it up. She had multiple problems going on besides coccidiosis.
Sorry for your loss.

Yeah, I get the coccidiosis, and the fatty liver because I gave too much treat stuff. But the other stuff is what is confusing me. What could have caused the other issues? How could I have prevented the other stuff from happening? Is it likely that my other girls have the same stuff? And it even says something about an injection site, but I never gave her any injections. And the word Mareks is disturbing. She never showed any signs of that

Mareks can cause impaired immunity to many common diseases because of a low white blood cell count. The word "lymphatic" in several areas of the report can be associated with Mareks disease or avian leukosis. Are they doing further studies to check for those? That can cost extra in necropsies, from what I have read.

@JCE123 , sorry for your loss... The puzzling part is the injection site reaction comment. Had you ever given her a shot before?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom