Can you look at this necropsy report and tell me what you think?

A new fecal exam of my birds comes back with hetarakis or ascariasis and very few to no coccidia. My vet recommends piperazine. I have safeguard and rooster booster on hand, and will order wazine. Opinions on which to use, how much to use, withdrawal, etc?

A new fecal exam of my birds comes back with hetarakis or ascariasis and very few to no coccidia. My vet recommends piperazine. I have safeguard and rooster booster on hand, and will order wazine. Opinions on which to use, how much to use, withdrawal, etc?
If I were you I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days, or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 3-5 straight days given orally to worm the chickens. Heterakis worm is also know as cecal worms. Here is a good article from Merck Manual:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

Cecal and/or large roundworms. Hit them with the safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2cc orally undiluted to each chicken for 5 days straight, 14 days withdrawal after the last dosing. Piperazine wont treat cecal worms. The Rooster Booster takes too long to treat and you wont know if they'll eat enough of it to be effective.

Ok, well I have the equine paste. I gave each a roughly pea sized amount on bread yesterday.
Just curious, what is the different reasons for doing five days in a row vs once then repeat 10 days later?
Since I gave it to them yesterday afternoon, do this mornings eggs need to be tossed?
Would the residue in the eggs have any deworming effect on my dogs if fed to them?
I think I will deep clean the coop in a few days. I wish I could pick up the run and move it too, but I will certainly be raking that out and replacing the hay.

Bump
1f601.png

The reason for the 5 day dosage is to make sure to kill the cecal worms (also will kill capillaria worms) which are difficult to kill with one dose. Eggs should be tossed for 14 days from the last dose. Eggs shouldn't be given to any animals because of the possible residual medicine, on the reasoning that it could cause a resistance to worm medications in the future.

Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of cops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)

So, to continue the saga, I now have one hen dropping soft shelled eggs from the roosting bar overnight. I offer both oyster shell and crushed egg shell free choice. The other hens' eggs are fine. They are all roughly a year old. The one laying soft eggs, Speckles (Speckled Sussex, of course), has laid fine normal eggs before this. She is also producing very wet poops. She seems to be behaving normally. The soft eggs started a few days before I gave the safeguard for worming and the wet poop has gotten more often since. I have given her her own separate treat of oatmeal with buttermilk and egg shell and oyster shell a few times to try and help. And when I try to get her interested in the the free oyster shell she will not have any, even if I get another hen to gobble some up as demonstration / inspiration for her. They eat a good healthy layer feed and do a bit of backyard free range.
Why is this happening? What more can I do? Of course, I am also going on vacation for the next week and will have my aunt pet sitting. I feel like the more I care and worry about these birds, the more trouble crops up. My friends who have backyard chickens seem to be trouble free. Maybe I am just not meant to be a chicken keeper, even though I am Sao fond of them
1f612.png

So, to continue the saga, I now have one hen dropping soft shelled eggs from the roosting bar overnight. I offer both oyster shell and crushed egg shell free choice. The other hens' eggs are fine. They are all roughly a year old. The one laying soft eggs, Speckles (Speckled Sussex, of course), has laid fine normal eggs before this. She is also producing very wet poops. She seems to be behaving normally. The soft eggs started a few days before I gave the safeguard for worming and the wet poop has gotten more often since. I have given her her own separate treat of oatmeal with buttermilk and egg shell and oyster shell a few times to try and help. And when I try to get her interested in the the free oyster shell she will not have any, even if I get another hen to gobble some up as demonstration / inspiration for her. They eat a good healthy layer feed and do a bit of backyard free range.
Why is this happening? What more can I do? Of course, I am also going on vacation for the next week and will have my aunt pet sitting. I feel like the more I care and worry about these birds, the more trouble crops up. My friends who have backyard chickens seem to be trouble free. Maybe I am just not meant to be a chicken keeper, even though I am Sao fond of them
1f612.png
Sometimes Vitamin D3 will help the chicken produce egg shells. - if you have had a long period of rain - they may need some of the 'sunshine' vitamin.

Back
Top Bottom