Can you make a chicken go broody?

I just found out my wife had six Japanese bantam eggs from show birds delivered today. I am very happy that I have the serama hen that just started to brood as a result of replacing real eggs with dummy eggs.

Whatever works for you!!
Hens are individuals. What "works" for one will not work for another--or "may"! Wild Birds and domestic poultry are not really comparable in management. Different breeds have different heritage and genes--and even "Pure" breeds are mixes at some time in their history. And even Pure breeds are still being mixed by some breeders and called purebreds. (supposed to "improve" the breed--while "selection and RECORDS" can do the same without corrupting a breed of fowl!)
Just learn by doing. study, keep records and all of the MANY POULTRY projects can be such a joy and satisfaction.

My idea was the most non-scientific
1f62d.png

Last edited:
Whatever works for you!!
Hens are individuals.  What "works" for one will not work for another Very true. I've seen this over and over again.--or "may"!   Wild Birds and domestic poultry are not really No, there certainly not. Our hens are quite removed from being natural. Still they do share some characteristics.]comparable in management.    Different breeds have different heritage and genes--and even "Pure" breeds are mixes at some time in their history.  And even Pure breeds are still being mixed by some breeders and called purebreds. (supposed to "improve" the breed--while "selection and RECORDS" can do the same without corrupting a breed of fowl!)
Just learn by doing. study, keep records and all of the MANY POULTRY projects can be such a joy and satisfaction. The purpose of my posts are simply to let people know what I have found to be true with my flock. For those wishing to have a broody hen in a more planned manner what I have posted may be worth a try.

Today, another of my hens went broody after laying 13 eggs which were replaced by dummies as they were laid. Another of my young hens started laying today. This time I will collect the eggs; I'm betting she will not go broody.
Last week I put one of my silkies in a cage with a rooster to break her from broodiness. She also should start laying soon in a nest not shared with other laying hens and I'm collecting her eggs as well. If I am right the hen will not go broody without any eggs being present. This hen has gone broody three times this season using dummy eggs; each time I knew she would go broody in 15 days or close to.

"What works for one person may not work for another"-true. I do wish another group member would try my idea and report back what happens,

Mine go broody with a clutch even if i leave 3 eggs in the nest for a couple of days. As for those breeds who are already prone to being broody, i put them in a separate, quiet, dark place with food and water (i have made little mud houses for winters that are about 2ft x 3 ft which work great for this purpose) and some dummy or real eggs and it works like a charm. Within 2-4 days they are broody.

This is a question about the one chicken I have. She is a Buff O, and alone, the rest of the girls passed away...but at 5 +yrs old, she's still laying and 'squatting' when I reach for her. I want her to have chicks, but don't want to do it myself. Does a hen at that age set? She lays an egg a day and I have left them there, and planning on replacing with fertile ones, when she seems to stay on them. I am unsure of the health of the egg if it's fertile and left (as a hen does until there is a dozen?) If I get my fertile eggs, how can I store them until my hen is ready? when she has 12, replace them slowly? I know enough not to put a glut of eggs in front of her to tell her 'it's TIME!'. thanks

Fertile eggs start to loose their viability after a week or so, so don't get any fertile eggs until she is good and broody. When she does go broody, she will not leave the nest for more than a half hour at a time, and it will only be to eat, drink, and poo. She won't even leave the nest to roost. Leaving a bunch of dummy eggs in the nest box may encourage her to go broody, or it might not. Be sure to collect what she lays daily.
If she does go broody, she will sit on whatever you give her. It doesn't have to be a dozen. 8 to 10 is generally a good number for most hens.

This is a question about the one chicken I have. She is a Buff O, and alone, the rest of the girls passed away...but at 5 +yrs old, she's still laying and 'squatting' when I reach for her. I want her to have chicks, but don't want to do it myself. Does a hen at that age set? She lays an egg a day and I have left them there, and planning on replacing with fertile ones, when she seems to stay on them. I am unsure of the health of the egg if it's fertile and left (as a hen does until there is a dozen?) If I get my fertile eggs, how can I store them until my hen is ready? when she has 12, replace them slowly? I know enough not to put a glut of eggs in front of her to tell her 'it's TIME!'.    thanks
This is a question about the one chicken I have. She is a Buff O, and alone, the rest of the girls passed away...but at 5 +yrs old, she's still laying and 'squatting' when I reach for her. I want her to have chicks, but don't want to do it myself. Does a hen at that age set? If a hen is of a breed that is known to go broody age does not matter; she may go broody.She lays an egg a day and I have left them there, and planning on replacing with fertile ones, when she seems to stay on them. I am unsure of the health of the egg if it's fertile and left (as a hen does until there is a dozen?) If I get my fertile eggs, how can I store them until my hen is ready? when she has 12, Keep leaving her eggs in the nest. When she goes broody give her a clutch of fertile eggs all at once, but not before the hen goes broody. I assume this hen has not gone broody before. Do not get fertile eggs until you are sure she is brooding full time. replace them slowly? I know enough not to put a glut of eggs in front of her to tell her 'it's TIME!'.    thanks

Back
Top Bottom