Can you make a chicken throw up?

SoManyHats

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Winchester, VA
One if my BR girls squatted in front of me, so I bent down and picked her up. Well, she fussed a lot and scrunched herself up in my arms, and then fluid started coming out of her mouth. I'm wondering if that could happen if she put pressure on her crop when she scrunched up, or do I need to worry that she's sick? What types of illness can cause fluid to come out of her mouth? She seems fine otherwise, except she may have leg mites. I was trying to look more closely when she started wiggling around in my arms.

Hi this has happened to me as well once with my bird. I picked her up and a clear fluid came up. It turned out she had a bad respiratory virus.about a day after the fluid I started hearing a very very slight wheeze.no coughing or sneezing or mucus present. Because it was viral the antibiotic injections I gave her would not kill the virus. If it's viral antibiotics can prevent secondary infections but it won't touch the virus.sadly I ended up loosing her to a aspiration of fluids. I'm NOT saying your bird has this but pay close attention for other symptoms. Please be very careful when handling her because if she does have fluid she can aspirate if picked up and the fluid comes up again. That's What happened with mine. My husband went to check on her and picked her up and she aspirated.again I am NOT saying this is happening with your bird but you asked in your question of possibilities of the clear fluid. This has been my experience with that happening.just be cautious watch for any more symptoms. Listen closely for wheezing.and be cautious about handling her right now. If you do hear a wheeze I would start her immediately on antibiotics . Even if it's viral they can prevent a secondary infection.. If you hear a wheeze I would try Tylosin or Tylan50. Dose for small birds 1/4 cc large birds1/2 cc given once daily into the breast muscle for 5 days. I hope this is helpful and I don't mean to frighten you just be aware this is one possibility. I'm NOT saying this is the case for your bird. This is just what happened to me. I wish you the best and God bless

Had she recently been drinking? I've noticed that sometimes when I pick up a chicken that is drinking or has just finished drinking a lot of water, it may "throw up" a little bit. If she appears completely healthy otherwise, this may be the reason.

Hi
I have just had the same experience. My 5 yr old hen was not herself yesterday and today was sneezing and standing apart from the others- occasionally scratching around- not eating much.
I decided that I needed to isolate her from the others
When I picked her up however fluid drained out of her beak and she began gasping for breath within minutes she had died. I feel so bad and keep thinking if I had left her she may have been ok :(

Back
Top Bottom