Can you make a hen go broody?

chickenboots

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
fl
I'm fairly new to chickens. I have decided to try to let my hens hatch some eggs so my daughter can experience having baby chicks. Problem is, none of my hens are broody. I had one who acted like she was going to be but she lost interest after only 5 days. Is there any way to make a hen go broody?

Hi,

You can some info from this site: http://www.animalloversweb.com/article_chicken_broody.html

help
this help.
smile.png

Yes. Fire up an incubator and POOF someone'll go broody!

I had a very broody-prone cochin that I just stopped collecting her eggs (she's pretty much the only one in the tractor. Her man went to freezer camp and her BFF is on her way out with foot problems) 11 eggs and 2 weeks later she deceided to set. On day 14 now! (also on day 11 with that 'bator full I was talking about!
wink.png
)

I'm desperate to get my peacocks to go broody, never had success todate. Any tips greatfully received. I've put two nest boxes in today with straw in one, hay in another, on the floor and three eggs in each. Not sure what else I can do really. Never had a problem with chickens going broody. But like someone else said it depends on the breeds on how broody they get.

Quote:
What race dou you have?
How is the nest situated, dark or full in light?
How many eggs are in there and are the hens free of lice?

PLace the nest in a dark and a calm area.
Don't get the eggs out of the nest, only mark them with a pencil with date.
So you can see how old every egg is.
Have patience and they will get broody.

I have 4 Rhode Island Reds and an Eastter Egger. I have had them for about a year and a half. My Easter Egger went broody once last year. The nest box that they all lay in is in the back corner of a 4 x 8 coop with a 8 x 20 run attached. My chickens are free range during the day almost every day. Also how long can I save up eggs for? Do I just leave them in the nest to save them up? How long should I leave an egg in the nest? I live in FL and it is high 90's usually with high humidity every day.

Last edited:
I tried everything I heard and read. Now luck at all-not even close, so I gave up. Then yesterday, my BO went broody, I'm super excited!!! Good luck, they seem to just do it when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom