Possible Broody Bantam

Bantams182

Chirping
Jan 7, 2024
Central Alabama
New to Old English Game Bantams, have a hen that was acting like she is going broody, she fluffed up and growled on the nest but later got up and went to roost, is she just early in the broody stages, I put some eggs in her nest to see if she will continue, what's y'all's experiences with bantams?

It could be the early stages of broodiness. With mine, I never collected the eggs, so they just eventually started sitting. I would leave the eggs out there to encourage her, but I wouldn't plan on letting her hatch those specific eggs. Once she's been sitting solid for a few days, that's when I would give her the eggs you want to hatch.

Are you able to separate this hen from the flock? With Old English Game bantams (or any broody who is hatching), you should separate the broody to a safe place to brood. Otherwise, others from the flock could attack her chicks.

Why would you not leave the eggs in her clutch now, what is the reason for replacing them? We have our hens/ pullets paired with a rooster for that reason, so we want have to separate them or another hen trying to lay in the same nest.
It could be the early stages of broodiness. With mine, I never collected the eggs, so they just eventually started sitting. I would leave the eggs out there to encourage her, but I wouldn't plan on letting her hatch those specific eggs. Once she's been sitting solid for a few days, that's when I would give her the eggs you want to hatch.

Are you able to separate this hen from the flock? With Old English Game bantams (or any broody who is hatching), you should separate the broody to a safe place to brood. Otherwise, others from the flock could attack her chicks.

Why would you not leave the eggs in her clutch now, what is the reason for replacing them? We have our hens/ pullets paired with a rooster for that reason, so we want have to separate them or another hen trying to lay in the same nest.
You want the eggs fresh, not a few days old. Also, if she sits on them during the day, they'll start to develop. Then, when she abandons them to roost, they will die.

Back
Top Bottom