Can you make a hen go broody?

Quote:
Not necessarily. My older flock are all brahmas, a supposedly broody breed. I have left up to 18 eggs in the nest, trying to get a broody. Didn't work. Before I lost her to a predator I had a silkie that didn't fall for the lots of eggs trick either. She was well over a year old, never went broody. The other side of the coin is that I also had another silkie, same age. She stayed broody and would often go broody on nothing but air.

I finally removed the eggs because with that many eggs there was a better chance of them getting broken. I didn't want the hens to see those yummy broken eggs and decide to become egg eaters.

Just MHO.

Last edited:
mother o' chicks72 :

well ok. i have a buff orpington which is a broody breed so i guess I'll just wait and see.

My Buffy The Vampire Slaying Buff Orpington went broody less than two months after she first started laying, and hatched out my very first GrandChick, Samantha, whose egg was laid by Rebecca EE and fathered by Carl, dominant roo and EE.

That was over a year ago, and she has gone broody again this past week for the third time. Sister #1, a blue Orpington, is also broody, and they are both setting on eggs under a step inside the coop. Next to each other.

So,
fl.gif
here's to hoping for a broody Orp for ya!​

Quote:
I think this only works with silkies cuz they'd go broody over anything. (or possibly cochins) I have tried leaving the eggs in the nest on several occasions and it didn't do a thing. (I don't have silkies or cochins, but just about every other supposedly broody breed)

I put several ceramic fake eggs in the coop's nest boxes to entice my 3 newly acquired hens to lay in the boxes (rather than outside in the coop). Instead, one of my original ISA Brown somehow gathered ALL the fake eggs into one nest box and refuses to leave the box, even when I've removed the fake eggs!
I didn't know RSL production hens would even go broody. Mine are almost 18 months old and none have them have ever shown a desire to sit on a nest.
Unfortunately (or maybe not, I don't want one), I don't have a rooster for several reasons, so there won't be any babies this fall/winter. Michigan is far too cold for babies this time of year!
Hopefully she'll lose interest without the fake eggs stimulating her broody hormones.

Back
Top Bottom