Can you make hens go broody?

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
Can you make hens go broody?
If you don't collect eggs for however long and let them get about 10 eggs in there will they go broody?
We have been collecting them everyday, but I bought some eggs to hatch and now am wondering if I could get my hens to do it for me, I'm sure they'd have better luck anyway.

So it got me wondering.
If there are 10 eggs in the nest will they go broody?
Hope does it work, what makes them go broody?
If they do go broody can I sneak the eggs under her?
Thanks for all info!
Angela

Quote:
Cant make hens go broody. But you can let them lay about 10 eggs. some set sooner. some wait until later. once one goes broody take her eggs out, put the new eggs under her make sure its on day one so she wont leave the nest before they hatch may need gloves. some hens can get pretty "testy" once they go broody

-Daniel

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I say the other post about it after I posted, silly me should have looked but was in defcom 3 mode.
LOL!
What if I have one nest box right now and get about 5 eggs a day. If i leave them in one of my hens may go broody or does the hen herself have to lay 10 or so?

Thanks!
Angela

Quote:
depends on the hen i think. i've noticed some of my hens will lay 10-15 sometimes 20.. eggs themself and go broody. whether other hens lay there or not. but also seen some that go broody sooner due to the amount of eggs

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you want a broody hen, get a SILKIE. Silkies go broody if you sneeze too loud. I've only had mine for two months, and she's gone broody twice already. Right now she's setting on eight eggs, and they're supposed to hatch today. It's her first time to hatch any, and it's been evident from the start that she didn't know what she was doing. I'm not expecting many, if any, to hatch today, but she'll know better the next time.

Last edited:
Hi,
We have silkies but they aren'y laying at all yet, too young, so I don't think they would go broody with some weird egg things in their pen, LOL!! :eek:

We have orps too, maybe letting their nest fill up instead of taking them will make them go broody?

Thanks all!
Angela

Back
Top Bottom