Can you make spicy eggs, by feeding your hens chili?

I know that chicken can have chili and it has some good benefits for them but how much and is it possible to feed chickens something and that affecting the eggs?

I would not mix chili into their normal food. That forces them to eat it, regardless of whether it is good or bad for them.

But it is probably safe to offer hot chilis to the chickens, and let them choose whether to eat the chilis or not. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating what is safe and avoiding what is not safe, if you just offer it and leave them to make the decisions. They might eat a few nibbles, they might eat more, they might ignore the chilis or scratch them into the bedding instead.

I do not think chickens eating chili will have any effect on the flavor of the eggs they lay, but I do not know for sure about that.

Last edited:
I would not mix chili into their normal food. That forces them to eat it, regardless of whether it is good or bad for them.

But it is probably safe to offer hot chilis to the chickens, and let them choose whether to eat the chilis or not. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating what is safe and avoiding what is not safe, if you just offer it and leave them to make the decisions. They might eat a few nibbles, they might eat more, they might ignore the chilis or scratch them into the bedding instead.

I do not think chickens eating chili will have any effect on the flavor of the eggs they lay, but I do not know for sure about that.
thank you for the answer, a couple moths ago I gave them a little chili after I heard it had some benefits but nobody touched it so they don’t really like chili and I think I underestimated how much chili you need to feed them wich I’m not really comfortable with because I would much rather have happy healthy hens than spicy eggs for my dad😊

I had a few hens raid my veggie gardens and in the process strip my red chili plants bare. Their eggs weren't spicy but their egg yolks were temporarily much darker, almost red looking.

Mine raided the bell peppers and jalapenos and my experience was similar.

Pretty yolks in normal tasting eggs.

I had a few hens raid my veggie gardens and in the process strip my red chili plants bare. Their eggs weren't spicy but their egg yolks were temporarily much darker, almost red looking.
Some people feed them marigold petals to make the yolks a deeper yellow and I once read an article where the henkeeper experimented with different amounts of cayenne to get deeper color yolks. Her customers preferred the eggs with deep colored yolks. She had a whole page of results!

While feeding them chili typically wouldn't hurt them, make sure the chili doesn't have salt added to it. Too much salt is not good for birds.

It doesn't affect the egg taste, but occasionally I will hard boil some eggs and mash them up (shells and all) with a potato masher. I'll add spices to it like turmeric, garlic, cayenne, basil, etc. and feed it back to them as a treat. The shell gives them a bit of calcium, the egg gives them protein, and the cayenne helps with respiratory stuff, turmeric helps with inflammation, and basil is an antiseptic.

Whether or not the spice has any real medicinal value, I'm not sure. But, my girls (and guy) really enjoy the treat, especially when they need a bit of extra protein (broody or moulting) or in the winter when it's cold here.

Back
Top Bottom