Can you make your chicken lay on it's back and stay there?

weesy68

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Stratford CT
My daughter saw a recent article in the Connecticut Post about a kid that charms his chickens into laying on their backs, and staying put. We picked up two new silkies yesterday, and she already got one to do it several times, it's such a cute trick. I added a not very good photo I snapped quickly before she jumped back up.
30192_better_silkie_pics_027.jpg

I thought my EE (very flighty) had bumblefoot a few days ago. When I caught her and turned her over to look at her foot, she went limp, stayed that way till I turned her back.

Imp- And no bumblefoot (it was a geranium petal. Lol)

My 10 year old son is second in charge of our mixed flock of hens. He takes them, flips them upside down and places them on his head--with their feet in the air! Looks like he has a feathered turban on his head with two chicken feet sticking straight up! It's hilarious, but I do try to discourage him--but really, it's soooo hilarious looking. They stay completely limp the whole time until he reaches up and flips them back over. I don't know why he ever thought to do that......

My DH showed me that trick a long time ago.
How he knew about it is a mystery, since he was a City Boy from Day One.

You lay your chicken down on its back, then draw a line with your finger from their eye to a place on the ground about a foot away.
Chicken will stay in place, "hypnotized".

I think it has something to do with the way they see things.

I haven't tried it on my girls as it seems unfair now that I know them as personalities.
Anthropomorphize much?
big_smile.png
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom