1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you mix turkeys with chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by norahsmommy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

We are new to this whole chicken thing, and will start raising them this summer. My question is, can I mix turkeys in with chickens? Hubby wanted to know if we had 1 or 2 turkeys would they get along with the chickens or would they have to be separated?

2. Peepthis541

Peepthis541 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Eugene, OR
    A neighbor of mine has over 10 hens a few roosters all co-mingling with a few turkeys. I never asked her of any issues. But I assume there were none. I have peeked at her diverse flock numerous times and it seems all good over there!

Good Luck!

3. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I want to do the same thing.I did read that the protein ratio in the starter feed should be different for turkeys.I think the male Bourbon red turkey's are so beautiful.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I really don't think it is a good Idea, it might brings more headache than what it worth, at the same time I am not an expert, so I don't want to tell anyone what to do or not to do.

Thank you.

Omran

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I raised a turkey with 25 hens and a Roo for 6 months and had no problems at all. A cousin had 6 turkeys and lost 5 to a fox. I took the loner and put her in with my crew at about age 2 months, so at that time she was about the same size of my hens. There were some pecking going on with the hens not letting the turkey eat first but the turkey did fine and was butchered this Nov. We miss her. We called her Bubbles because that was the sound she made.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    turkey can get black head disease from walking in chicken poop!

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    What is black head disease?

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I believe the black head desease has to be present, and the turkey has to eat the desease, which if present is in the chicken poop. Turkeys are most susceptable to Black head, but it must be present for them to get it.

That said, I 4 turkeys now(heritage breeds) with no problems, and put 7 (Broad breasts) in the freezer(some are no longer there), and had no problems.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    you can find information about it on feathersite!

I was told not to so I research the information & I still put my BB with in with chickens! I figured they would be processes in 4 to 5 months anyway!

I am not sure I would do again because of the mess they make & the should have different food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by