can you move a broody turkey like a chicken?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by austinhart123, Mar 15, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i have a broody turkey in a feed bucket behind the coop setting 12 eggs, i ned to move her as we lost our other broody turkey to cyotes last night, can i move her at night sucsessfully like a chicken?

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    prepare thyself to be the recipient of some serious pecking. [​IMG]

3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    you might want to throw a towel over his head to prevent her waking up and pecking.

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    she is actually very sweet, she lets me reach under her to candle her eggs. shes a bourbon red

5. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I would also have an incubator warmed and ready in case she will not accept the moved nest. Is building a small predator proof pen around her an option? If so I would go that route. She may not accept the nest after being moved. Broody turkeys get very sassy when disturbed.

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:i can make somethin i have an idea it might work but is she didnt accept he new nest i would just put it back.... but i will build something around it that i can open during the day

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:she sounds just like my royal palm hen.. sweet..

I moved her last year with a dozen eggs.. in the middle of the day..

I found her eggs in the back of one of my trucks all lined up in a long row on a piece of vinyl siding.

I put her into the unused dog kennel and the eggs into the igloo coop in there.. she walked right in and layed down on the eggs and that was that.. she hatched two batches for me last summer..

8. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:she sounds just like my royal palm hen.. sweet..

I moved her last year with a dozen eggs.. in the middle of the day..

I found her eggs in the back of one of my trucks all lined up in a long row on a piece of vinyl siding.

I put her into the unused dog kennel and the eggs into the igloo coop in there.. she walked right in and layed down on the eggs and that was that.. she hatched two batches for me last summer..

well i can make sure she is predatorproof every night without moving her, but its work, but def. worth it.... i would try to move her but my concern is that if i mve her at night and she doesnt cooperate, she will not want to set and the eggs will be cold all night, so i dont know what to do other than just do what im doing no and hope for the best

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how many days does she have to go yet?

If she is, I would guess,, say, half way there, you might have a problem moving her..

I would leave her where she is.. I don't know about how yours is but I hardly ever saw mine off the nest,

Of course , she probably got off every day, but I have other things to do but watch her.... [​IMG]

build a small enclosure around where she is and hope for the best..

do you have a dog that you could tie up just within reach of her?? a dog just being there would do wonders for coons and foxes, we do not have coyotes(yet)...

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    tomorrow is day 14 so i wont move her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by