can you move a broody turkey like a chicken?

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i have a broody turkey in a feed bucket behind the coop setting 12 eggs, i ned to move her as we lost our other broody turkey to cyotes last night, can i move her at night sucsessfully like a chicken?

prepare thyself to be the recipient of some serious pecking.
lol.png

I would also have an incubator warmed and ready in case she will not accept the moved nest. Is building a small predator proof pen around her an option? If so I would go that route. She may not accept the nest after being moved. Broody turkeys get very sassy when disturbed.

Quote:
i can make somethin i have an idea it might work but is she didnt accept he new nest i would just put it back.... but i will build something around it that i can open during the day

Quote:
she sounds just like my royal palm hen.. sweet..

I moved her last year with a dozen eggs.. in the middle of the day..

I found her eggs in the back of one of my trucks all lined up in a long row on a piece of vinyl siding.

I put her into the unused dog kennel and the eggs into the igloo coop in there.. she walked right in and layed down on the eggs and that was that.. she hatched two batches for me last summer..

Quote:
she sounds just like my royal palm hen.. sweet..

I moved her last year with a dozen eggs.. in the middle of the day..

I found her eggs in the back of one of my trucks all lined up in a long row on a piece of vinyl siding.

I put her into the unused dog kennel and the eggs into the igloo coop in there.. she walked right in and layed down on the eggs and that was that.. she hatched two batches for me last summer..

well i can make sure she is predatorproof every night without moving her, but its work, but def. worth it.... i would try to move her but my concern is that if i mve her at night and she doesnt cooperate, she will not want to set and the eggs will be cold all night, so i dont know what to do other than just do what im doing no and hope for the best

how many days does she have to go yet?

If she is, I would guess,, say, half way there, you might have a problem moving her..

I would leave her where she is.. I don't know about how yours is but I hardly ever saw mine off the nest,

Of course , she probably got off every day, but I have other things to do but watch her....
smile.png

build a small enclosure around where she is and hope for the best..

do you have a dog that you could tie up just within reach of her?? a dog just being there would do wonders for coons and foxes, we do not have coyotes(yet)...

Back
Top Bottom