Can you please identify this breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ccar2000, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ccar2000

ccar2000 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Littlerock, CA
  2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Some kind of mutt it looks like.

3. aurissavannahs

aurissavannahs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Murphy, NC
    I don't recognise the breed, but those are lovely hens. Their brick shape reminds me of RIR but they obviously are not RIR. Since the picture is labeled US Agriculture, I would say they are possibly hybrids or some commericial variety. I hope some one will give you a better answer.
    Kat

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    what I see is eWh/e+ hens with Co/co+ Pg/pg+

cross breeds

5. ccar2000

May 29, 2011
    Littlerock, CA
    Thanks for your help.
    I really do like their plumage, I would like to find a resource for more information about them and possibly where to purchase these beauties.

If you don't mind, could you please spell out eWh/e+ hens with Co/co+ Pg/pg+cross breeds?

Thanks again :)

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well let me try, I´m not really that good of a teacher...

e+ is the wildtype(wildtype because it was found on the "wild" Red Jungle Fowl) e allele. there are a few mutations on the e allele but to keep this as short and concise we will talk about e+ and eWh Only....

eWh is the "wheaten" e allele mutation, this mutation is incompletely dominant over the wildtype(e+) allele, meaning when you have a bird with e+/eWh genotype you will have a bird that will have similar traits as both genes..

this is how a wildtype hen looks like without any other gene modifying its phenotype(looks)

welsummer hen(wildtype)
    [​IMG]

Wheaten Hen(eWh) wheaten maran
    [​IMG]

now to the modifying genes, Co/co+. Co stands for the Dominant Columbian like gene Columbian.(Co) co+ stands for the wildtype counter part(co+) Columbian restrict the hens eumelanin(black feathers) to the tails and to the neck hackles of the females,

this is how a Columbian restricted hen looks like
    [​IMG]

now why if the hen is restricted by Co does she has some markings on her body? you can thank Pg for that.. Pg stands for Patern gene, which is dominant over pg+ which is its wildtype counter part...

one copy of Pg can do this
    [​IMG]

chick how it says, Pg alone results in a black tip. source http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

other e+/ewh hens at the classroom at the coop forums. source http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93855&page=all
    [​IMG]

the hens may or may not carry Pg, it could be other melanizers, but Co/co, she centrainly has

7. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    These chickens are Buff Orpington rooster over Barred Rock hens.

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    No.

E/eWh Co/co+ hens dont look like the birds on the pic

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  9. ccar2000

May 29, 2011
    Littlerock, CA
    Well, that is a lesson in genetics! Very well explained but much too deep for me :) Thank you for your time and thoughtful effort. As a Simpleton, I would like to find a breeder/supplier that can provide these beautiful birds for my small home flock. Again, thanks for answering my question accurately.

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009

the cross you just described its very similar to the black sex link cross hatcheries do, a Wheaten(both buff orp and RIR are wheaten eWh based) Columbian(both Buff Orp and RIR are Columbian Co based, Buff Orps have other restrictors as well but they dont work very well on Extended black birds)

the black sex link hen above is E/eWh(E from Barred rock hen, and eWh from RIR) Co/co+(Co from RIR and co+ from BR) s+/-(s+ from RIR sire) a Buff orp rooster mated to a BR Hen would produce a very similar bird as the black sex link hen

[​IMG]

I told you I was not a good teacher...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by