Can you put a brooder in the bathroom?

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
We're a little less than 2 weeks from our first hatch date, and I'd really like to start getting the brooder set up for them. What I'm wondering, is if you can put the brooder in a bathroom? Our bathroom is huge, (At least 10x12) and it's upstairs so tends to be warmer. My concern is the steam/humidity from people using the shower.

If we have to, I could set up in the basement, but it tends to be chilly down there....that was where I was thinking we could do stage 2 brooding (when they are almost big enough to go out to their coop)

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about this?
caf.gif

I did mine in the bathroom and i had the same concern with the humidity and steam. Mine did fine. I showered with the door open so it didn't get too steamy but other than that they did ok.

One warning. The dust from the shavings was horrible. If you have a door going into your bathroom from your closet make sure you keep it closed. My closet got a layer of dust that covered everything in it. GROSS.

I do a mix, they spend the first few days in bathroom....but they are very messy especially when they get bigger....the heat from the showers....makes the smell worse. I have mine the first week in the tub...shower is separate. I will leave set up for emergency like power out. I have some 5 weeks, some 3 weeks and 2 weeks in garage now. mary

Hmmmm, steam, the only thing I can think of that would make chick fluff/dust worse, LOL.
My chicks used to be in the laundry/sewing room, but we just spent 2 days trying to get the dust out of everything from the last group and Ive vowed they wont be in the house again. Unfortunately, we dont have a basement, so, I fired up the Brower brooder and they are out on the back porch, toasty and warm.

Chel

They will be fine in the bathroom. I raised mine up to 4 weeks old in the bathroom. They had a heatlamp and did fine with the steam from the shower and my hot baths. I kept the bathroom door into my bedroom cracked and there was no huge steam build-up that way. They used to watch me, through their clear tote, taking a bath and were completely fascinated by the bubbles and such. They were very used to sudden loud noises too because of the toilet flushing and so forth. I think it helped them not be so jumpy and so forth actually.

I scooped their brooder twice, sometimes three times per day and changed the shavings weekly so there was very little dust problem for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom