Can you put a brooder in the bathroom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanMama, Oct 18, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We're a little less than 2 weeks from our first hatch date, and I'd really like to start getting the brooder set up for them. What I'm wondering, is if you can put the brooder in a bathroom? Our bathroom is huge, (At least 10x12) and it's upstairs so tends to be warmer. My concern is the steam/humidity from people using the shower.

If we have to, I could set up in the basement, but it tends to be chilly down there....that was where I was thinking we could do stage 2 brooding (when they are almost big enough to go out to their coop)

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about this? [​IMG]

2. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i did all mine were bathroom raised. and the shower rod made the perfect place to hang the heat lamp from

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My brooder is in the bathroom, but that bathroom is in an unheated bsmt. Every batch of chicks I've had has been raised there, most of them in January. With the heatlamp, they'd be fine.

4. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i did mine in the bathroom. sm room easy to keep warm. i removed them from the room for a couple hrs ea day while showers were being taken.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I did mine in the bathroom and i had the same concern with the humidity and steam. Mine did fine. I showered with the door open so it didn't get too steamy but other than that they did ok.

One warning. The dust from the shavings was horrible. If you have a door going into your bathroom from your closet make sure you keep it closed. My closet got a layer of dust that covered everything in it. GROSS.

6. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:Mine are out in the unheated garage right now, and are just fine.
    As long as they have a good heat lamp, they are fine.

7. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I do a mix, they spend the first few days in bathroom....but they are very messy especially when they get bigger....the heat from the showers....makes the smell worse. I have mine the first week in the tub...shower is separate. I will leave set up for emergency like power out. I have some 5 weeks, some 3 weeks and 2 weeks in garage now. mary

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hmmmm, steam, the only thing I can think of that would make chick fluff/dust worse, LOL.
    My chicks used to be in the laundry/sewing room, but we just spent 2 days trying to get the dust out of everything from the last group and Ive vowed they wont be in the house again. Unfortunately, we dont have a basement, so, I fired up the Brower brooder and they are out on the back porch, toasty and warm.

Chel

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They will be fine in the bathroom. I raised mine up to 4 weeks old in the bathroom. They had a heatlamp and did fine with the steam from the shower and my hot baths. I kept the bathroom door into my bedroom cracked and there was no huge steam build-up that way. They used to watch me, through their clear tote, taking a bath and were completely fascinated by the bubbles and such. They were very used to sudden loud noises too because of the toilet flushing and so forth. I think it helped them not be so jumpy and so forth actually.

I scooped their brooder twice, sometimes three times per day and changed the shavings weekly so there was very little dust problem for me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by