Can you put "playground" sand in run area?

Giddyup

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC
I don't see why not, they run wiht the horses and alpacas and there is sand in areas....but we may fence a run off for breeding or if predators increase? Would sand be harmful in any way?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVe sand!!!! We have it in all the coops and runs, and even in the sheep stall. I also use sand in my brooders. No fire hazard, no choking hazard, keeps the stink away, they can duste bath, easy to clean, etc.... I use a cat poop scooper to sift through the brooder sand and when it gets really bad, I just dump it in the compost bin or the garden.

We'll be adding playground sand to our runs this year to help with drainage. Right now I'm adding tons of dried leaves, which is helping immensely with the spring rains mud problem so the sand will basically be the "icing on the cake" for us.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Putting sand in my run was one of the best moves I ever made. And yes, I just used plain ol' playground sand in the bags from Home Depot.

I think I read last fall about SeaChick (??) who had a problem with her chicken eating playground sand, but I don't know -- maybe just a weird situation? If I can find the post, I'll add it.

I have used both playsand and "all purpose" sand from Lowe's on my drop board and in a sandbox for them to dustbathe. The playsand is much cleaner and nicer to work with when I use a kitty litter scoop to clean the drop board.

Me too, I mix in a little bit of food-grade DE and stand back! They also have a box of the same sand in the coop for 'winter bathing'!
lol.png

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear this. I think I'll try it this summer. LynneP.....where do you buy your food grade DE. I'm in Nova Scotia too, and wondering where to find a source of it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom