Can you put the nestboxes outside?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by funonahonda, Jun 23, 2011.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Can you put the nestboxes outside in the run hanging off of the fence so we can get the eggs from outside the run?

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Mine are under my coop in the run...so I dont see why not!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I have inside and outside places for the girls to lay in the summer. I have found them in the berry patch, compost pile, boxes in the garage. If they have a quiet place hidden from the others it is a potential nesting place. I found an egg under an old broken plastic tube that was upside down. I picked it up to put in the trash and hello little egg, how did you get there.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I have seen an old time photo of a really cool idea. Its a Communal nest sort of the size and shape of a kids toy box with one hole but room enough for three or so hens to lay eggs at once. One lid access and it sits on the ground outside the coop.

5. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I think your chickens will love to have an outside nest box, as long is in a shaded area in the summer. Mine seem to prefer the outside nest box, and so do I. It's a lot more clean to collect the eggs and has an easier access.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Adorable pics Arianna! Love your nestboxes and how you have them painted!!! [​IMG]

7. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thank you. I love pastel colors, and the colors of the fifties. I think they are very cheerful.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Outside nest boxes.

What a great idea! [​IMG]

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you give them and sheltered spot, they will lay where you want them too......usually!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by