Can you raise a baby chick by itself?

Quote:
Update to the above: She nearly drove me around the bend. I finally found her a home where she could be around others and we both couldn't be happier. Moral: Unless you want a chicken attached to your hip the rest of your life, for all the love of God, get a lone chick a buddy, even if it has to be a meat chicken (which I had to do with my last lone chick LOL). The added comedy of meat chicken friend is almost worth it.

Glad you found her a home with classmates!!! That's hard this time of year!!!!!

I've found even when introducing breeds to the henhouse that they do best if they come in groups of at least 5 rather than as singles. They always do best in groups of similar age and breed.

That concept of an only dual-purpose breed chick with some mass-production CornishX baby-buddy would be funny....

Im raising a lone chick just now, he follows me round and sleep on my neck all day,, i love chicks so i do not mind :), im suspicious that he is a rooster so when he gets big enough i will intoduce him to hens one by one, if you intoduce them at a young enough age, (not young enough to get trampled though) then i do not think they will have socializing problems, all you will have is a very tame hen/ rooster :)

I had purchased three Polish Crest chicks, and one died the day after we brought them home, and a second died a couple days later. The only one left, who I named Cricket, did well, but she was very lonely. Chickens are social creatures and they need to be around others of their own kind. I scrambled to find some new friends for her, but for about a week I had to keep her with me at all times and she became very attached to me. Thankfully I was able to find a group of three chicks that we hatched on the same day she was, and she took to them right away. Gradually, little by little, she needed me less.

Even still, now that she is grown, she is still attached to me and follows me around when I go outside. She climbs up in my chair when I sit down, and she grooms me. She socializes well enough, she gets along with pretty much everyone, but she is kind of a loner. Her best buddy (one of the chicks I got to grow up with her) is broody right now and busy raising a set of chicks, so my poor Cricket just kind of wanders around on her own.

I would suggest trying to find at least one other chick around the same age that she can grow up with. Have you checked Craigslist?

I have got poachy a friend! And im so happy that shes not lonely anymore :) thanks for the advice everyone :)

I have a baby poult 2 days old. Its hatch mate did not survive. I have a broody hen and/or can get a few chicks. However my concern is the food. Turkeys and chicks are on two different types of food.
Suggestions?

Karen

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the chances of my broody hen taking to a two week old chick? Is is realistically possible?
Thanks, vicky

I have raised quite a few chicks by themselves due to mom not wanting the baby anymore, or sudden injury.

All the chicks that I have raised alone have problems socializing, and usually have to be kept alone, as others
have mentioned. Lonely chicks will scream for company that most people just do not have the time to give.
I would sneak the baby under the broody. He'll still be the only chick, but he will be raised by a chicken,

not a human. If you must raise the baby, run to the local feed store and pick up a couple more chicks whenever

possible, give him a feather duster, or stuffed animal to snuggle with if he's ever alone. It's heart breaking
to have a chicken who cannot have friends. I have one hen who's siblings were killed at a couple days old,
And 'Lucky' was severly injured. In order to save her, I had to raise her myself, but I was never able to get

a buddy or a gentle hen to keep her company. She was timid and scared being around other birds at first,
and she still cannot be around other hens. But we've been very lucky at finding gentle roosters to be a
friend for her. Sorry your in this situation, and very sorry about your eggs
hugs.gif
Just had one of my chicks pass away from coccidous if im correct think. My second chick would always tuck under his wing. As much as it hurts me it hurts me more knowing he’ll miss him. I have a rooster and a hen though hopefully i can get him closer to them. But the guy that gave them to me told me they’re sort if gamefowl not sure how it will go😕

Back
Top Bottom