Can you raise Bantams with Large birds?

not an issue...although I have a little black OEGB that has taken over my outside flock...the RIR bantam that was in charge got put in his place!

I've just recently introduced a Chinese silkie rooster and an ancona hen (very young) to my existing light sussex hens and isa brown. They seem okay - they are still establishing the pecking order, but no one has been hurt. Size doesn't seem to matter.

I got rid of my bantam hen because the regular-sized roosters were just too rough on them. And they couldn't run as fast, so they were easy targets. Some days I couldn't even coax them out of the henhouse.

And once I had only bantam roosters in with full-sized and bantam hens, so everything ran smoothly. It was a hoot to see the much bigger hens lower themselves to the rooster's height for mating.

Then I decided to hatch some eggs... small rooster, small offspring. So now I'm all full-size again.

Kathy in Texas

They should be ok once they establish their pecking order. Just have to watch and make sure none get overly agressive.

I've got a banty cochin in with 3 standards and she has done well. The primary problem has been that she couldn't get up on the roost, so was getting pooped on at night. We've fixed it and she's now up on the roost in the middle of the big girls again.

I have noticed when they free range that she doesn't eat as much as the standards, so she winds up standing around most of the time. Imagine a bored woman going shopping with girlfriends who were oohing & aahing over everything. But, she does well and that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom