Can you raise Bantams with Large birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eric in NC, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Going to order some chicks (first time I will have chickens since I was a kid). Will a few Sebrights survive and do well in a flock of Wyandottes and B Rocks if they are raised together from the beginning?

2. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    I am having no difficulties, and mine were not even started together. I have Jersey Giants, Giant Cochins, Standard Brahmas, Silkies, Belgian d'Everbergs, bantam cochins, and bantam brahmas. Don't know if that is typical or not, just my personal experience. [​IMG]

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Mine are fine together [​IMG]
    I even have 7 roosters together with 11 hens and they along perfectly

4. dancesWchickens

dancesWchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I've got 8 standard and 7 banty Ameraucanas. My smallest banty hen (aka Chicken Little) is at the top of the pecking order.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Should be fine if they have enough space and proper care. Crowded, hot and stressful conditions can lead to cannibalism in any flock.

My little Phoenix and Hamburgs do just fine with the big girls, with chickens attitude is everything and these little guys have it!

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have a Red, a BR and several silkies. None were raised together. There is a pecking order, but noone gets hurt and everyone is fine.

In fact the Mrs Red (RIR of course) and Oprah (big fat black Silkies) were in the nest box together yesterday.

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have 4 RIR standard and 6 assorted banties. I had to rehome one banty as she was a polish and the big girls were pecking all her head feathers off. Other wise they all get along fine .[​IMG]

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes you sure can. I have bantams, chickens, ducks and 2 turkeys all together. They all get on fine. In fact my cochin thinks she's a muscovey and will only hang with them and sleeps with them at night. I think she thinks she is too good for the other bantams:lol:

9. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Cool - I thought so, just wanted to be sure. Any special things you folks do? (Bantam and standard height feeders or anything?)

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I mix in some chick grit with the regular grit for the banties. Don't know if other folks do that. I also have the feed and water stations lower for the bantams.

I personally did have some issues with a standard hen (Faverolles, of all breeds) pecking her bantam cochin buddy's beak until it cracked, so I now keep my bantams in a separate coop and run. I imagine it's an individual issue as much as a space issue. Just keep a close eye on the little ones and make sure they don't get bullied. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by