can you raise the chicks in your house?

jbgettinchickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 17, 2010
Is it too late in the season to raise chicks (we are in Maryland)? The plan is to keep 18 chicks in our house (with heat lamps of course) until 5 weeks old then move them into the coop providing heat as necessary?? Or should we just wait until Spring. We are excited about getting started and don't want to wait! This is our first time and we are likely naive.....will we just have a stinky mess in our house??
Thank you,
Becca

First of all
welcome-byc.gif

Go for it. You will be fine. If you keep the litter clean and dry the smell won't be bad at all. Be aware, they are very dusty. Make sure you have plenty of room for that many at 5wks. Next spring when most everyone else is getting chicks, yours will be at laying age. Be careful though about keeping them warm enough and out of drafts when it does come time to move them outside.

You can do it. You just have to work to keep everything clean. I have found that raising them on wire (I have a brower brooder) will create less dust. Some people have reported that furnace filters placed over the top of the brooder will catch a lot of the dust.

I much prefer to have them outside, but it's less of a worry if you have them in.

Quote:
Welcome from an imp in Washington

The answer to your questions are:

No & Maybe

No, not too late, lots of people raise chicks this time of year.

Maybe there will be a stinky mess in the house. Depends on you. With 18 chicks cleaning will be a challenge, but can be done. And they may not be completely feathered by 5 weeks.

Give it a shot why procrastinate.
roll.png

Imp

Well, don't let them have run of the whole house
tongue.png
But yes, many people start the chicks inside. I think the hatcheries say 2 chicks per square foot, so 18 chicks is 9 square feet, or 3'x3'. By 5 weeks I assume you would need more. We used cardboard as a wall around a large kid's swim pool in our entry room when we had older chicks. It worked fine. The dust gets to you after a while. Have fun! I'm planning to order chicks this November so they are laying in the summer.
Amy

We always brood our chicks in the house.

Depending on the weather, you should be able to do this, no problem. Just make sure they have ample heat in the coop. If they get too cold, they'll pile up and you could lose some to smothering.

We're in PA, north of Pittsburgh about an hour, so our weather is similar. I usually don't get or incubate chicks this time of year. I've lost a few young ones to harsh winter weather.

What do you plan on using as a brooder? We always use the big plastic bins, and with 18 chicks, you'll most likely end up with 2 bins as the approach 5 weeks. Go to your local Agway or Tractor Supply and buy pine shavings by the bale. You'll spend a fortune on them if you buy the little bunches from Wal-mart, etc. They will need probably daily changing as they near 5 weeks. Little buggers are cute, but they can get stinky quick!

Good luck-
Em

I always start mine in the house (well, those I hatch in the bator). They get to stay in the house until they are 4 weeks old or I can't stand it anymore.
smile.png
I have an old large dog wire kennel that I covered in hardware cloth. It sits in my dining room next to a huge window. You do have to do a lot of sweeping up, especially after the chicks start scratching diligently. They make a big mess and get progressively stinkier. It's not so bad when they are tiny, but at 3-4 weeks you just can't stay on top of the cleaning. When those feathers start coming in they generate a really fine white dust on everything.

I like having them in the house for a while. It allows me to keep a close eye on them and kind of get to know them. Plus they are awfully sweet.
smile.png

i ALWAYS raise chicks in the house (all seasons)! i let them out once they are fully featherd and keep a heat lamp in the corner just in case they get cold. i think we all jump the gun sometimes when it comes to chickens, but that is part of it! just have fun and love those chicks to death! 00ooo btw
welcome-byc.gif

I also always raise mine in the house, unless a broody hatched them. Yes- very dusty, if you have a lot! I brood mine in a big rubber water trough until they are big enough, and feathered enough, to move to a pen outside.

Our first chicks ever were raised in my daughter's bedroom, until the coop was built!

Hi! You can totally raise and keep chickens indoors. My chickens are illegal so I have to keep ALL of mine indoors. I just have different sections and areas for each different age group I have. My chickens look like they are in a big zoo exhibit. If you need any help or advice let me know! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Back
Top Bottom