Can you really hatch eggs under a heat lamp?

If that is true I could heat them on my patio as well...this is one of the hottest and most humid summers I can remember. 90-100 everyday for 3 weeks straight!
hmm.png

Many folks are using the "dry hatch" method. So, if you can regulate the temp close to 99.5. You have an excellent chance of hatching at least a portion of your eggs. It would be very easy to have a cheap thermostat turn on and shut off the heat lamp. The problem with the patio idea is if temperature gets too high, they die.

Yes you can hatch eggs using a heat lamp,

7 years ago I decided I wanted chickens of my own after I built a chicken coop. I took 1 doz of store bought eggs, I put straw in a laundry basket, hitched up the heat lamp on top of the laundry basket, I then put in a 60 watt bulb in the heat lamp, I took all the eggs, marked an x on one side of the egg with a black magic marker, I then put the eggs in the laundry basket , keeping the laundry basket away from heat, sun, away from drafty places and I put it on the table away from my dogs and cat that I had at the time, I left the lamp on 24/7 thus turning the eggs every day.

24 days later I heard peeps coming from the laundry basket. I had baby chicks coming out of the egg shells I was so happy, and come this spring since I have a new farm, I will be doing the same thing to hatch my own chicks and nurse them to grow and in four months they will start to be layers.

I didn't loose one egg and non of them spoiled.
lol.png

Yes you can hatch eggs using a heat lamp,

7 years ago I decided I wanted chickens of my own after I built a chicken coop. I took 1 doz of store bought eggs, I put straw in a laundry basket, hitched up the heat lamp on top of the laundry basket, I then put in a 60 watt bulb in the heat lamp, I took all the eggs, marked an x on one side of the egg with a black magic marker, I then put the eggs in the laundry basket , keeping the laundry basket away from heat, sun, away from drafty places and I put it on the table away from my dogs and cat that I had at the time, I left the lamp on 24/7 thus turning the eggs every day.

24 days later I heard peeps coming from the laundry basket. I had baby chicks coming out of the egg shells I was so happy, and come this spring since I have a new farm, I will be doing the same thing to hatch my own chicks and nurse them to grow and in four months they will start to be layers.

I didn't loose one egg and non of them spoiled.
lol.png

Wyoming wonder, How high above the laundry basket did you hang the lamp? I want to try hatching some eggs, too, but none of my chickens are broody. The 60 watt bulb you used, was it just a regular old household bulb?

I didn’t measure how high it was I used a rectangle wash basket back then. I filled the basket 1/4 to half full with hay though I do remember this. But the eggs didn’t get hot, I used an old heat lamp that you would use on an animal and 65 or 75 or may of been 100 watts i cant remember now its been, gosh that was so many years ago.

I didn’t cover the top of the wash basket either but I did have it in a very warm corner away from drafts. I also hatched them in summer time so no air would get through the double paine glass doors which helped in the incubation process. I did however cover the back side with a towel so to help hold in the heat.

These were store bought eggs I had hatched also.

Last edited:
I hatched 5 eggs(duck) with a homemade incubator,so yes,it can be done,just need to add the correct humidity ect..worked for me,in fact I am doing it again with silkie eggs in 1 week :)

Last edited:
my leghorn hen is hatching for her very first time and for the first week she was very determined. But the next week she wanted to leave the coop for atleast 2 hours so i thought it would be fine but then the third week she would want to leave the coop for about five hours and then she would come back and nest. So i decided to put a heat lamp on them on and off for a couple hours because one day a couple became cold. it seems to be okay. Any day they should hatch.

Interesting because I have a friend who told me that it can't be done with a lamp but when I was in middle school, I was a typical preteen a-hole,my friends & I stole 2 duck eggs from a Mallard duck. I took them home, placed them on pine shavings in a fish tank, with a lamp above and sure enough... a few weeks later they hatched.

I want to allow my daughter to attempt to hatch an egg but everyone is telling me its extremely difficult. I dont remember it being difficult but I also dont want to set her up for dissapointment.

Back
Top Bottom