can you really make a living off of a small farm?

Sounds like some good choices. My concern with that plan is won't it take a few years to get the orchard established and producing enough to generate income? Have you considered bees? Have you considered some conventional farming until you can earn enough to invest in a aquaponic or hydroponic system? Livestock maybe pigs or goats or sheep any market for them near you?

I like the way you think @Jerry H :goodpost:

@itsasmallfarm i had once planned out a whole goat operation where the goat milk could raise calves from auction (picked up for 60-80$) and raised to yearlings you could make money hand over fist. The milk for raising calves is super expensive otherwise still i did it w the milk replacer and did make it well into the green. All of em could be sustained pretty well on grass and hay. Calves take alot of time tho and i think all herd animals get accustomed to routines and if u miss feeding time :oops:

Conventional farming to get more things to bring to that farmers market we discussed earlier in the thread before putting the expense toward aquaculture.

Realizing now 2 minutes later, CA... yall dont have grass and hay at the same cost and surplus that we do idk if thatll help at all :(
maybe in eastern Canada they don't have the hay and grass, but am out in western Canada, pretty much the prairies and ranches/farms everyone. if its a wet year we have tons of hay.

Well thats great! Its a great resource you might be able to use it :)
sorry for the late reply.

ya out here we have some big ranch and farm operations. like really big. hunted a few places where they have miles of land. where the wild life is so common and deals so much damage to hay fields and the grass. kinda funny one place was deer the other place was elk.

now i don't have any land for hay though :( so we have to buy all the hay needed for our goats and horses.

right now i only have 20 acres to work with. hoping one day to have more.

hello everyone time for an update.

got some exciting news today. my family just bought some land! its more for recreational purposes. but it has a lot of potential for farming, now that the deal is done and approved its time for making decisions on what the action plan is.

the land is about 20 acres of crops/field with the rest 140 acres of being mature forest. so now its time to brain storm some ideas.

just to note the land is agriculture zoned by the RM

Back
Top Bottom