How Can I Start Making Profit From Quail?

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
Hello! I’ve been raising Coturnix and Bobwhite quail for several years now and have recently been wondering how I can make it more sustainable, or even profitable. Ive thought about selling at a local farmers market but I figured I would be spending a lot of time at a stand that I payed a lot of money for and wouldn’t make much profit. I would also love to get into breeding but I don’t have the space for hundreds of quail. I would wonder if breeding on a much smaller scale could even be successful. Anyways, does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you!

Hello! I’ve been raising Coturnix and Bobwhite quail for several years now and have recently been wondering how I can make it more sustainable, or even profitable. Ive thought about selling at a local farmers market but I figured I would be spending a lot of time at a stand that I payed a lot of money for and wouldn’t make much profit. I would also love to get into breeding but I don’t have the space for hundreds of quail. I would wonder if breeding on a much smaller scale could even be successful. Anyways, does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you!
We have two poultry swaps within an hour of us that we attend, generally for selling our silkie chicks. They each only are once a month.

I noted this seller of quail and eggs has two large clear plexiglass bins with about a dozen quail in each, then stacks of several dozen clear small egg cartons with quail eggs. He sells the eggs for $5/dozen, and they were going like hotcakes. I don't know what the live quail sold for, but he is at the one market every single time we've been there. A few others do the same as he does to one extent or the other.

This particular swap we go to in Amherst, WI charges $10 to sellers and buyers are free and it runs about 4 hours, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

So if you were like this guy, two dozen eggs would pay your way. I doubt anyone gets rich off doing this, but say he's selling the birds for $3 each (just a guess) and the eggs for $5. I'd think he'd be walking away with a couple hundred bucks every month. He's probably got a system with them like we do with the silkies, to set them to hatch 1 week before the swap.

Could you search around to find a poultry swap or farm market near you that runs similar to ours, as that seems semi-lucrative from what I've seen.

I used to raise jumbo quail for consumption, but stop. It cost too much to raise to 6-8 weeks when you can buy 4 clean frozen quails ready to cook at the store for about $12. I don't see there is much profit. You can talk to hunter and see can get connection for selling live quail for release program.

Back
Top Bottom