Can you recommend a good, cheap hatchery for my 1st duckling order??

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We are going to raise 20 pekins for someone for meat, I was going to order them from my local hatchery (Townline) and just pick them up as usual but apparently they do not sell ducklings after July. I am looking for a good deal from a reliable hatchery, we're just going with straight run. Any suggestions?? I have looked at several sites and so far the best price I've found is Welp Hatchery for $4.15 per duckling and that includes shipping. That still seems high to me though since Townline sells them for $2.75.
sad.png

Well heres what I can tell you. Most hatcheries do not give concern to the treatment of thier chicks and alot of it is cruel. Metzer is not that way. Niether is holdereads. both go to great lengths to make sure that their breeders and offspring are treated in a manner that all living things should be treated! You can see some of how hatcheries typically treat thier "income" on you tube. Do not watch it if you are faint of heart!

Metzers sell imported bloodlines specially developed for the meat market. $4.45 straight run, but worth it if they really do perform better. Look for the Grimaud Pekins on their website. Their shipping is reasonable.

If you watch for the Monday specials at Ideal, they sell ducklings for $2.50 if you buy at least 20. They sell pekins. That's not their regular price. That's for when they have more chicks than they have spoken for. Ask to get on their mailing list and they will email you the specials.

I'd have to check to make sure, but I don't think Holderread sells Pekins.

Thanks for all of the tips, we hit the jackpot and the guy who wants me to raise the ducks found a local lady who will sell us week old muscovies for $1 each!!
woot.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom