Can you recommend a good, cheap hatchery for my 1st duckling order??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mommyofthree, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    We are going to raise 20 pekins for someone for meat, I was going to order them from my local hatchery (Townline) and just pick them up as usual but apparently they do not sell ducklings after July. I am looking for a good deal from a reliable hatchery, we're just going with straight run. Any suggestions?? I have looked at several sites and so far the best price I've found is Welp Hatchery for $4.15 per duckling and that includes shipping. That still seems high to me though since Townline sells them for $2.75. [​IMG]

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Well heres what I can tell you. Most hatcheries do not give concern to the treatment of thier chicks and alot of it is cruel. Metzer is not that way. Niether is holdereads. both go to great lengths to make sure that their breeders and offspring are treated in a manner that all living things should be treated! You can see some of how hatcheries typically treat thier "income" on you tube. Do not watch it if you are faint of heart!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Metzers sell imported bloodlines specially developed for the meat market. $4.45 straight run, but worth it if they really do perform better. Look for the Grimaud Pekins on their website. Their shipping is reasonable.

If you watch for the Monday specials at Ideal, they sell ducklings for $2.50 if you buy at least 20. They sell pekins. That's not their regular price. That's for when they have more chicks than they have spoken for. Ask to get on their mailing list and they will email you the specials.

I'd have to check to make sure, but I don't think Holderread sells Pekins.

4. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I would go with Ideal, I've heard good things about them.

5. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Quote:They don't

6. DuckMan50

DuckMan50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Meyer Hatchery is pretty cheap and you can get a minimum of only two!!

7. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Metzerfarms.com they have 3 different types of pekin

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Meyer gets their ducks from Metzer.....

10. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for all of the tips, we hit the jackpot and the guy who wants me to raise the ducks found a local lady who will sell us week old muscovies for $1 each!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by