CAN YOU "RESTART" EGGS? LOL

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
We had 3 hens trying to go broody at the same time in different pens. The first hen we gave eggs to is content. The second one we gave eggs to last night is off of them, but "hunkered down next to the eggs. We don't know how long she's been off and it's in the 80's today.
Can we try to set the third hen late tonight on the eggs the second hen gave up on, or would that be like starting embryos, stopping them, and then trying to "restart" them hours later? In other words, would these still be viable to use, or should we get a fresh batch?

Worse that can happen is yiu candle them in a week and see no growth. I had a couple hens one especially that seemed to never be on her nest. Literally she would be off 2 or 3 hours in the evening after I got home from work no telling how long during the day and she still hatched all her eggs.

I had an incubation going when the blizzards hit Texas and shut everything down for a week. Rolling blackouts for an hour to 12 hours at a whack, during which time the house temps would fall into the low fifties. When the juice came back on permanently, I was going to bin the eggs but my wife convinced me to let them percolate. We got 18 out of 22; most (of the hens) are still in the main flock and are still laying.

I told you that to tell you this- it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom