Can you see a loop hole in this ordinance?

Thanks everyone for their input. I am zoned MIDD-3 (Minimum Impact Development District) which shares the same permitted accessory uses as other MIDD properties.

Permitted accessory uses. The following accessory uses shall be permitted in the MIDD-1 District:

(1) Home occupations.
(2) Required off-street parking.
(3) Private garages.
(4) Farm stands in connection with a farm.
(5) Private swimming pools and tennis courts.
(6) Any other use which the Zoning Board of Adjustment determines is one customarily and incident to the principal permitted use of the property.
C. Conditionally permitted uses.

(1) Public utility uses and essential services.
(2) Commercially operated golf courses.
(3) Towers and antennas.

Last edited:
Quote:
Find out if poultry can be a permitted use, and what conditions are generally required for poultry. Find out what "in connection with a farm" specifically means and the definition of "Farm stand." A sign out front saying that you sell eggs by appointment only may qualify you as a farm stand. Knowing someone who has a farm and contracting an agreemen t to sell a few of their produce may qualify (or not) as being in connection with a farm. Look to see how your CITY defines "farm." If may give a definition that fits you better.

You also need to check the ordinances relating to pets and animals.

I would agree with SS. It says you can have a farm stand as a matter of right. It doesn't say that is limited to produce sales. You don't want to have to get into giving them a discretionary decision to make. I don't see why you just can't sell eggs outright at the farm stand, although you have to comply with health regs and keep them refrigerated. Your "stand" could just be a sign, maybe with a cute picture of a chicken on it, that directs people to the barn where you have a refrigerator plugged in. Most health rules require that you wash the eggs and date them and keep them at a certain temperature that you can prove by having a thermometer sitting in the refrigerator at all times.

Back
Top Bottom