can you sex guinea keets at day one??

Quote: I think I have PMed him but just in case I didn't I just did. I sure hope to be hearing from him soon. Sure hope all is well with him.

I have only been aware that times fowl even existed for a few months now and so far I've raised 3, one of whom is just a few days old. The first two I got 2.5 mos ago at a feed store not even sure what they were without consulting google. I also have several chicks of various ages up to 3 mos old. I want to second te above poster's comment about telling the males from the females based on almost a gut instinct about feminine vs masculine appearance. With my first round of keets it took me a month to figure out I had a male and female, but somehow I was able to sex chicks right away by head shape and general behavior.
I'm the opposite, I fall for the boys first. Aside from instinctual "knowing" I also look at which birds are easiest to handle right away, which ones seem the most curious and assertive, which are smaller, etc. The boys carry themselves less cautiously, they seem more entitled, more confident, more needy. The girls are more passive and low key. I learned this the hard way by realizing my favorites who I picked out for the purpose of having a fresh egg supply kept ending up being boys.l, so basically if I take to a chick or keet right away I know it's male without fail.
When I picked our my latest keet, I wanted a male to replace my very favorite bird I lost to a cat, my male guinea Little Foot who sacrificed himself for the hens. I looked into the brooder at Rural King and zeroed in on the noticeably smaller keets who also seemed the most lively and full of it, basically. By the time Little Foot and his sister Ducky were 2 now old their facial features looked so different from one another or kinda startled me. Little Foot's snout/beak region was much more narrow and pointy (before we named them and thought they were both girls we called them Dull Beak and Pointy Beak and it was their sole difference in appearance) while Ducky's gave was softer looking. She also filled out better and just looked more voluptuous. Little Foot had always been the super outgoing extra goofy keet while Ducky was a bit more timid. Little Foot talked a lot more and loved to be pet. He was extremely pushy about treats, all guineas are lol, Ducky is too but Little Foot was certifiably insane and would do anything for mealworms including learning tricks. God I miss him.
Anyway, I've also noticed in keets that the ones I determine to be male tend to get their little wing feathers more slowly, they're like a day behind the females from what I've seen. Both male keets and baby roosters are in my experience the first to charge the feeder excitedly when I go to fill it. Also my females are slower to learn the concept of playing with me (although now my guinea hen chases me around flapping her wings like we're playing tag and loves when I try to tag her back, she even tried to taint me into a game of it by running in a circle aroun my feet flapping just long enough to get my attention and dashes off as soon as we make eye contact, but stops a few steps away and waits for me to come after her lol) whereas for instance this 3 day old little keet of mine already likes to "fight" my fingers (and he isn't afraid of me, he's incresibly affectionate).
To sum it up I would say look for the smaller keets with the bigger personalities, and depending on age the shorter / less developed feathers and narrower faces and those will be your boys.

Yes this is possible but not sure how to explain it. I grew up with guineas and had always played with them as keets. My mom first noticed that when they were a day old I would pick certain ones out and name them. The ones I named girl names were always hens as adults and the boy name ones grew up to be males. When she would ask how I was sexing them as chicks I would always just say well some look like boys and some look like girls and out of hundreds of keets I have never been wrong. When we needed new breeding stock she would ask me to pick out a certain # of hens and a couple males and they all grew up to b what I sd. We used to hatch them in groups of 100+ and sale them all by 2 days old as we kept a list of buyers. One time a local man came to purchase 40 and mom told him she could have me sex them for him if he would like. I was 13 at the time and he told me I was full of it and basically made fun of me so mom winked at me and handed me a box and told me to go get him 40 of the keets that hatched yesterday. I went out and put 40 in the box and he paid for them. Several months later he called our house and asked to speak to me. He was very angry as all grew up to b males and sd I did it on purpose. My reply was how could I do that on purpose remember its imposable to sex them at a day old and hung up on him. A few months later he came back apologised and asked for all hen keets this time. Called back again months later asking again how I knew they were all hens but all I could say is idk how to explain I can just tell by looking at them. He was a customer for many years after and he sent lots of business our way. To this day I can still sex them at a day old with 100% accuracy and I can do this with Turkey poults at well at about 95% accurracy. All I can say is I must of spent way to much time as a child with the critters lol but at a day old males act like adult males and hens act like adult hens. Once I was so dissapointed as one of the guinea hens I selected to keep back as a breeder had a wattle turn out like a male but other stayed like a hen. Thought sure I had made a mistake til she began laying eggs.
Can you please sex mine? lol Guineas and turkeys I still can't figure out who is who
wink.png

@JHorn91180 I am due to hatch keets tomorrow and the next day, could I post pictures and you might be able to tell me whats what? Im planning on keeping 3 for myself and would like one male and two females! lol

Thank you :)

LOL I wish I could make money doing it. U have no idea how many calls I get to this day from people asking me to stop by to sex the baby guineas they just hatched. Some ask me to do this with poults too but I always tell them Im not a 100% accurate on turkey poults. I can do this with goslings too and b 100% accurate. I have no idea how to vent sex. I wish I could do this with baby chicks a s well but I cant. Not a single person has ever offered me gas money even after driving to thier farms to do this. All I get is a a thank u months down the road and am told I was right and they want me to teach them how I do it. I have tried with a few and they were sexing them wrong and cant seem to get anyone to get it right. I have have go to a friends next week as they have keets due to hatch and sex them. Thing is they have to b 24 hours old dry and active b4 it will work. Starting to wonder if I can do this via video as long as the babies r calm and not hudleing in the corner from fear. If someone would like me to try they would need to put a colored dot on the keets that I can see in the video and might b better if they used a live web cam over them for a bit so I can watch them and say this color and this color etc r hens and all the other colors r male.
Has anyone sent you a video of day old guinea fowl?

Has anyone sent you a video of day old guinea fowl?
Please pay attention to the date of the post that you are replying to. In this case, the post you replied to was from May 6, 2012.

If you hover your pointer over the member's name, a pop up will happen and if the member is no longer active on BYC you will be able to see in this case "Last seen Nov 9, 2013".

Do not expect to receive a reply from a person who hasn't been on BYC since 2013.

Thats neat I always guarrented mine and never had to correct any they were always what I sd they were. Hmm maybe I will look for a local hatchery to do this. oddly enough mom always suggested that but I kinda worry the hatchery wont believe me as I have had to prove many skeptics wrong over the years. i have been able to do this since I was 10 and now Im 31 and have still yet to b wrong once
You have a talent for sure JHorn. Do you reveal your secret or is it hush hush? :) I hatched out three recently (ordered eggs and the post office thought it was NFL time) and one of the three has stripe from eye to ear whereas the other two have white faces. Hmmm, what are the chances you reckon? thanks Joe T

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a talent for sure JHorn. Do you reveal your secret or is it hush hush? :) I hatched out three recently (ordered eggs and the post office thought it was NFL time) and one of the three has stripe from eye to ear whereas the other two have white faces. Hmmm, what are the chances you reckon? thanks Joe T
If you hover your pointer over the member's user name it will bring this up.
JHorn91180_10-26-2021-001.jpg

As you can see, the member that you replied to has not been on BYC since Nov. 9, 2013. You will not get a response from her. She never provided any proof of her claims.

Back
Top Bottom