Can you spped-up/delay the start of egg laying?

agirly4chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Hamilton, Georgia USA
I just calculated and figured that out that our 10 chickens will be 21 weeks old the week that we are going out of town for 8 days. My mother will be feeding and checking on them twice a day so that is no problem. The problem is that I want to be there to gather the first egg and cherish that moment. Please advise if there is anything that I can do to speed the process up so they start before I leave or slow it down so they start when I return home?

The trip can't be changed and from what I am told Rhode Island Reds normally start laying around 20/21 weeks.

Angie

They're going to lay when they lay-- nothing you can do to change it. 20-21 weeks is a range-- they may start much earlier-- they may go later. Regardless of when they start, surely not all of them are going to start in that 8 day period-- so, you'll likely get your "first egg" moment from one of them. It's not quite the same as discovering them the very first time, but, if you haven't gotten one by the time you go away, perhaps you can ask your mother to collect any she may find and not tell you about it... She can always share the secret later-- and then the 2 of you will have a "first egg" moment!

Back
Top Bottom