Can you still eat a chicken if it had a prolapsed vent?

MamaHen939

Chirping
Apr 18, 2016
I found one of my freedom ranger hens with a prolapsed vent this evening when I returned from work. She seemed very uncomfortable and I had been thinking that I needed to cull her soon anyway because she was getting too big and having difficulty getting around and breathing well. Since I had to end her life, I would hate to not be able to utilize her for meat since that's what she was bred for, but I can't find any information about whether or not it's safe to eat a bird that had a prolapsed vent. Any ideas? Thanks!

I found one of my freedom ranger hens with a prolapsed vent this evening when I returned from work. She seemed very uncomfortable and I had been thinking that I needed to cull her soon anyway because she was getting too big and having difficulty getting around and breathing well. Since I had to end her life, I would hate to not be able to utilize her for meat since that's what she was bred for, but I can't find any information about whether or not it's safe to eat a bird that had a prolapsed vent. Any ideas? Thanks!
Yes... And GOOD for you, for having your wits about to consider not wasting her! :highfive:

A prolapsed vent doesn't equal contamination or infection. That part will be removed.

ETA: I consider it like an injury. Although some people will try to repair prolapse... I won't as I don't want it breeding forward and figure it IS likely to happen again.

Last edited:
You've got some good advice already but if you're still feeling iffy about it I would just take the breasts & leg/thighs off - that way you're not cutting into the cavity.

Thanks for all the advice! She was fine the day before - ranging around and acting normal - so I don't believe there was any type of systemic infection leading up to the prolapse and it didn't appear that any of the other hens had been pecking at it. My main worry was surface contamination, but I was careful not to cut into the exposed vent when dressing her, everything inside looked normal when I checked through it and I kind of figured that any surface contaminants would be killed off during cooking. I just wanted to make sure that it's not taboo to eat a prolapsed hen (this is only my second meat bird!) :confused:;) So I guess it's chicken dinner for the family! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom