can you stp a chook from eating her eggs--help desperately needed!!!!!

silky_3699

Songster
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
My Own Realm!!!
i have 2 silkie hens and a silkie roo. i put a nesting box in thier pen but they don't lay in it. just on the ground. they have seen the other hens lay in it and i have put eggs in it but they don't lay in the nesting box. and then they go and peck thier eggs. its very annoying because i need those eggs for breeding! i can never get to the eggs quick enough. i really need help. i need some silkie chicks to help with my breeding but i can't do that if i don't have any eggs to use!

poke a small hole in the eggs before she eats it and drain the egg then fill the egg with vinagar. do it for about a week after tasting that a few times she wont want to eat eggs any more!

you can try the vinegar or hot sauce in the egg shell. you can try golf balls in the nesting box. free ranging will usually stop this behavior but if it doesn't , you must cull immediately before all the chickens learn how to eat eggs.

If they tend to lay at a certain time, like early morning, could you confine them to a rollaway nest box until they lay their egg and then let them out to free-range?
I don't have chickens yet, so I don't know if this would work or not.
hu.gif

Not sure hot sauce is going to work---chickens (and all birds I believe) can't taste capsaicin, the chemical that makes hot peppers hot.

But dogs sure can
wink.png
---works great to keep dogs from chewing things!

Back
Top Bottom