Can you tell from this video what this issue might be?

chitownhens

Songster
Jan 23, 2016
This hen seems to be falling over each time she goes to scratch. I only have one instance on the video but it seems to be continual.

She seems to be twisting her neck quite a bit not much. Mostly it is scratching vigorously to her right side then falling over. She did lay a shelless egg yesterday. Brought her inside because she seemed listless but she was back to normal after the egg passed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much here is a better video. When she was just turning her head over and over I thought for sure she was not going to make especially as she kept getting worse.

0.jpg

Check her ears to make sure there's nothing in them - infection/pus, mites/lice, debris, etc. that could cause an imbalance (think vertigo).

How old is she?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days?

It could be a neurological disorder that is just now starting to show up. Give her a once over for any signs of wounds, cuts, scab ect., on the legs, feet (bottoms too), hocks to make sure there is no injury.

She is about 2-3 years old now and no new additions to the flock. She seemed to be fine yesterday after she laid the shelless egg and was fine this morning. This came on all of a sudden this afternoon. I gave her and empsom salt bath thinking it might help. I will check her for injuries.

Maybe I am just imagining this but she doesn't seem to react on her left side. Almost like she can't see out of that eye. Any thoughts?

Her tail feather is straight up which is good but her crop is empty.

Last edited:
Got to eat some scramble egg but only off the carpet. She couldn't manage out of the bowl her back leg would collapse.

This is what she looks like just standing there.

0.jpg

Something neurological going on comes to mind with the 2nd video. Does she have any swelling of the abdomen?

Try to keep her hydrated, offer her some poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E. The eggs are fine - they contain Selenium.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some thoughts.

After watching both videos, I agree with Wyorp Rock that it looks like she has some neurological symptoms with weakness on her left side and a seizure-like activity with the neck twisting to the left side. I wouldn't know if it is due to a head injury, a stroke, a brain tumor, or possibly Mareks disease. So sorry to see her struggling like that.

Thank you for the replies. She did eat the eggs and some greens so I will see how she is doing in the morning. Her energy is good and as I posted tail feather straight up in the air. She does seem like she is spaced out and yes looks like something neurological. Will hope for the best

Unless she has some respiratory signs or nasal/eye drainage, it still seems neurological to me. Can you look into the other eye to note if the eyes look the same as far as color and pupil size? Mareks can cause eye changes. Look to see if there is any debris or goop in the right eye.

Back
Top Bottom