Can you tell if my chicks are really Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicolla, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    My husband and I were specifically looking for Easter Eggers and we found some at a local farmers market. However, someone recently told me that mine were not Easter Eggers. I was wondering if anyone could tell if they are or not. Sorry for the picture quality, they are so quick its hard for me to get good pics [​IMG]

Ruby
    [​IMG]

First day outside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you tell if this ones a boy or girl yet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    The first one (brown) does not look like any I've had, but the white one may be, are the legs turning any shade of green yet? If it turns out the white one is, from what I understand the coloring may lead to a male, but they are hard to tell so early, hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in. They are adorable though! [​IMG]

3. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

the legs should be green/slate colored if they are easter eggers

4. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I'm no expert, but generally the EE chicks have the puffy cheek fuzz and usually have green legs. I understand they can be a variety of colors. Sorry, but I cannot tell for sure from the pictures.

5. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    You might try posting over on the What Breed/Gender is this section. That being said, EE can have yellow legs, I have one [​IMG] And yes they can be all different colors. And they may or may not have muffs or beards. Basically they are mutts so they can come in many different varieties. I myself am leaning towards yes, they could be EE's. You may not know until they feather out a bit more. With that being said, there have been a few EE's that actually lay pinkish or brown eggs, so they don't always lay blue/green eggs either. Sorry if I have confused you! [​IMG]

6. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    We had chipmunky looking chicks without puffy cheecks- they lay greenish eggs now. So Id say they could be EE's!

7. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    Yay! Thank you so much, I was really worried there for a bit. I will post it under what breed too, sorry I forgot we had that section as well [​IMG]

Thank you again everyone!

8. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    Looks like EEs to me.
    EEs don't have to be any certain color. I believe the only requirement to be considered an EE is to lay an egg that isn't brown or white.

9. lilrosc

lilrosc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Northeast CT
    The brown one looks like my lightbrown leghorn. The wing feathers look the same pattern, and the dark brown stripe down the side with too whitish stripes alongside it.

But then again, I am only 33% sure that the chick I think is my leghorn is a leghorn. And lots of chicks look really similar.

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like EE to me but other breeds have similar patterns, methinks. My EE all had very yellow legs that turned green/gray, maybe by week 3? Now legs are green at 6+ weeks. I have one EE without muffs/beard. The white one looks rooish to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by