Can you tell if this is a male or female?

Quote:
If it's not, I'm in trouble *stretches*

PS - in my previous post what I meant was, no matter the size of the legs or any other attribute, the decision on whether it's a male or not is based almost 100% of the time on the size of the comb. That is what I've noticed after months of lurking on "what sex is this?" threads.

Last edited:
I usually look at the size and color of the comb and wattles, leg thickness, feathering and stance to decide the gender. The comb alone can be tricky, I've had pullets with really fast comb development, I would have sworn they were cockerals.

And yep, I agree you have a cockeral.
hmm.png

Quote:
A lot of people do, commenting mainly on an observation. I have one now that was first with a comb and waddles and everyone swears it's a cockerel but I still think it's a pullet. Stance, legs, feathers, everything, I think it's a pullet. So I guess when I hear "her" crow I'll be really let down!
lol.png

For the record, I think your chick a cockerel too.

I live in Michigan and in a city where roosters are not tolerated. Hoping we can find a good home for him.....

I have to challenge the statement that stretching isn't girl like. I have 20 chicks who will be 2 weeks old on Tuesday. They are color sexed Gold Comets so I know which are the girls and which are the boys. But I have to say they all stretch their legs out behind them and they will lay on their sides with their wings stretched out like they are sunbathing. It's the cutest thing.

Quote:
My adult hens, who give me eggs every day, are definitely girls, etc, etc, stretch out a wing and a leg all the time. And sunbathe by flopping over and stretching out a leg and wing, too.
smile.png

Quote:
My adult hens, who give me eggs every day, are definitely girls, etc, etc, stretch out a wing and a leg all the time. And sunbathe by flopping over and stretching out a leg and wing, too.
smile.png

x2

Back
Top Bottom