Can you tell me approximately how old this fetus is? *WARNING GRAPHIC*

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
We have two silkies sitting on a clutch of what was seven eggs. They are sharing the clutch. Is this weird?

Anyway, on Saturday I found one egg that had been kicked out of the nest and was cold.

Today, there was another kicked out, also cold. I opened it up, pic below. We are not sure how long they have been brooding. We thought the eggs were due last Saturday, but no babies yet. I don't hear any peeping, but it is noisy out there! I candled on Sunday and saw movement in at least four of them. This is my first hatch of any sort. The babies are the offspring of Silky moms and a Light Brahma papa.
Based on this picture, how much longer do you think we have to wait?

RIP, little baby.

50603_img_0494.jpg

I think its pretty well formed too. Reckon 18 days + Should be hatching soon, in the next two or three days. The cold egg you found - doubtless it has died and the mom/s knew and that is why they rejected it. Often they know long before we do if something has gone wrong. It doesn;t mean they will reject them all. Just keep an eye on whats going on it could be the hens are fighting over the nest.

Oesdog Sad you lost that one.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Very good picture, by the way.
Interesting to get a snapshot of what inside the shell would be looking like at that stage of hatching.

Back
Top Bottom