Can you tell me how old they are, and other questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemommy, May 30, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Hi I am new here and bought four little babies to take care of from the local feed store on Monday. I have two Rhode Island Reds, and two Buff Orpingtons. I forgot to ask the man when they were hatched so I don't know how old they are. I would like to attach pictures, but I don't know how......can someone tell me if there are directions to posting pictures on here or direct me how to do it? Also when is it okay to give them the rock(I forgot what it's called) that they need in order to digest things other than the chick starter. The feed store man told me all that I would need is the chick starter...It seemed like he was having a really bad day, so I didn't ask about anything else. I would like to start feeding them treats, because I saw them yesterday chasing a bug, and I realized that they would start wanting other things besides chick starter. At what age is it okay to give them bugs? and do they need the rock in order to digest it? Sorry for all of the questions!!

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi and [​IMG]

Here's the sticky about posting photos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

If
    I were you, and they're eating bugs, I would offer some chick grit. You can usually buy the small stuff, labeled chick grit, at the feed stores. Tractor Supply carries it, it's red. Avoid the larger stuff that has added calcium for hens. Also, if they're running around ourdoors they're probably picking up small pieces of grit on their own, but it they're in a brooder but still eating "treats" and bugs, provide grit.

Show us this pics and we can help determine age!

Stacey

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

How to do pics. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … php?id=504

They should be on starter and water only at this point, bugs are ok if they catch them I wouldnt put a whole bunch in there quiet yet.

Treats will come later and so will grit for digestion, usually around the time they start laying.(4-6 months old)

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    do they have an feathers yet on their wing tips?

5. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Thank you for the replies, and for the warm welcome! I will read the how to post pics section and try to do that quickly. They don't eat anything but chick starter until they are 4-6 months old? I thought I had read on here that you could give them bug treats starting at a certain number of weeks, but I have been unable to find that again. I will go get the chick grit hopefully today. At least tomorrow. My parents are bringing over some leftover wood today that came from their remodel so we will have some great wood to build the chicken coop with!! I am so excited. I didn't understand what the craze with chickens was all about until we had them for a couple of days. Now I am hooked!

do they have an feathers yet on their wing tips?

I sure hope that I did that right!! LOL
    yes they do have feathers on their wing tips...actually that is what they looked like Monday when we bought them. Now they are have feathers on about 2/3 of their wings maybe...I will give the posting of the pics a go. Thanks again!!​

6. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Here is a pic of one of my chicks at two weeks old so you can compare the feathering!

[​IMG]

7. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Here they are! This was easier than I thought!

[​IMG]

One of my RIR, and one of them has what looks like a sparrows tail forming

[​IMG]

One of my Buffs...though I think the other one has a little bit more feathering on the wings

[​IMG]

8. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh wow I'm so sorry those are so large! I thought I resized them to the correct format. Sorry again!!

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I would say 10-12 days old. VERY CUTE!

10. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    My guess is 2-4 weeks. The last one looks younger than the others.

I feed bugs from day 1 and never knew you shouldn't. I have raised several hundred chicks (have a couple hundred right now) okay so it may not be so very harmful if they are also getting a good balanced food. Mother hens will feed them bugs from day 1 so I do too. During June bug season I give the bugs to the feathering babies - they love them and it's like watching chicken football as they steal the bug and run screaming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by