Can you tell me if an of these are toxic to chooks?

wyo-helpmeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
West TN
I got a bunch of seeds from wintersown. I want to start growing for the chickens this year & am wondering if any of the following are toxic to chickens. I would also imagine if it says "attracts birds" it would be ok?

-Chinese Houses (Collinsia heterophylla)
-Forget me not
-Purple Prairie Clover (Dalea purpureum)
-Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus)
-Snow White Iberis

And I want to be sure these are ok for them:

-Black eyed susans (I read these are ok)
-Switch grass (this says attracts birds)
-Wildflowers blends

I've already decided I'll be growing greens (lettuce, spinach, etc), sunflowers, borage, broc, etc for them. I'm just not sure about the flowers I listed. I also believe marigolds are ok for them?

Collinsia heterophylla- does not show up on either toxic or safe lists
forget me not-supposedly taste very bad but listed as nontoxic by busybirds.net and a few others, there are multiple species under this name
Dalea purpureum- edible, the root is chewed and the leaves used in tea
hibiscus cannabinus-edible according to hibiscus.org
Snow White Iberis- a scientific name would be better but iberis as a group is mostly edible. The seeds are used to make mustard and the rest can be used medicinally. Too much might be bad as is true with most medicinal plants.
black eyed susan-used medicinally meaning small amounts are edible but large amounts may or may not produce unwanted symptoms.
switch grass-contains no poisonous parts according to several sources
wildflowers- on average completely edible. Few native wildflowers are dangerous in any amount.

Large amounts means decimating your plants so as long as the chickens aren't locked in with the plants and nothing else to pick at they should not come to any harm.

Some plants attract birds for reasons other than being edible. Some birds will hide or nest in toxic plants so that's not a gurantee. Some plants might also produce edible berries but be toxic themselves.

Last edited:
Quote:
Doesn't say.

My plan is to succession plant these flowers in containers and put one at a time in their run for them. The sunflower heads will be dried whole for them to nip at throughout the winter.

If you want something specifically for them to eat and no other reason for growing it then why not stick to vegetables and herbs instead. Parsley, cilantro, swiss chard, etc.. are all easy to grow and not only edible but healthy whereas flowers for birds may be questionable on how healthy they are. If you want flowers snapdragons, nasturtiums, marigolds are easy to grow and edible even for people. So are a million other flowers if you do a google search for edible flowers. For bulbs daylillies are entirely edible from flower to tuber. There are far better things to purposely feed a chicken. If you do have another purpose for growing those particular plants then they are safe enough just questionable on healthy or whether it's a good idea to purposely let chickens destroy the whole plant.

They were sent as freebies, might as well use them if I can. And I am planting other fruits & veggies for them as mentioned in my OP, the sunflowers for one, as well as greens, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, etc. I also weed mallow, lamb's quarters & purslane from my garden (edible "weeds" for people) and they get those as well. My whole point in this is trying to go as organic as possible. Since I have seeds on hand, I figure I can plant them for the chooks as long as they are not toxic. There's no sense in wasting seed if I don't have to. I can't plant many things in the front as we have deer & they eat it all.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom