Can you tell me if she is healing well?

DanLeaAnn7

Chirping
Oct 9, 2009
Hempstead, TX
I have 22 chickens, no roos, they are 29 weeks old, they started pecking each other about the time they started laying. About 5 of the chickens get their feathers picked out (pecked) on their lower backs, near the tail feathers. I am not sure which hens are doing the picking.
Anyway Saturday one poor hen was pecked so badly, about a 2 inch long cut, very deep, blood all over the coop. We cleaned her up, seperated her and have been spraying her with Vetericyn gel 3 times a day, The wound looks like it is healing, BUT there is an area where the skin is turning yellow and it is getting hard. She started limping the day after the ordeal. Her foot looks fine, I am thinking that the muscle hurts to use it, that is why she is limping. I am very concerned now with the yellowing of her skin back behind the wound. Is this normal?
The chickens are in a 12 by 12 coop, and 48 by 16 run. They are not cramped. It is HOT and windy here and the chickens seem to spend a lot of time in the coop. Started putting a sprinkler in the run and they seem to like that. I do let them out of the run several times a week to free range. Thanks in advance !
42672_002.jpg

That blackened/yellow area is dead/necrotic skin. It will have to slough off before healthy skin can grow in. Also, there could be a pocked of infection beneath it. I would soak it will warm water to soften it up then remove as much of it as possible. It will eventually heal.

Thanks TellynPeep, Should i give her oral antibiotics ? Would that help? Why is the skin south of the wound yellow, it was fine before, just the big cut, wish I could of sewn her up (though the lady at Steinhauser's said you could not sew chicken skin ?) this is our first experience with chickens, didn't know i would be spending so much time on the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries board
sad.png

So I soak her in water and pull the scab off ? That area doesn't seem swollen or red (full of infection) the yellow area is like hardish skin... golly !

Well we just soaked her for 20 minutes but i could not get any scab to come off... it was rock hard... i will plan to soak her again this evening to see if it will budge, and the skin is hard, but won't sluff off..... ?????? what should i do ???

Back
Top Bottom