Can you tell me th sex of my chickens?

katiescoop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
Both of these are about 9 weeks right now, I am not sure of the sex but if they are roosters I have to get rid of them. To me, the silver Wyandotte looks and acts more like a rooster but my Cochin looks a lot like my adult cochin hen. I would really love some other opinions from people who know what they are talking about and have more experience with raising chicks(I do not know what to look for or even if they are old enough to tell). any and all feed back is appreciated:)

The combs on neither are that big yet, so I'd definitely wait it out.

The body build of SLW does look roo-ish, but the comb is still small.

I think the cochin looks like a hen.

Don't panic at some pink in the combs early, I've had early pink and still have hens. Really large comb and red is a better indicator. You'll know in a few weeks if saddles and hackles begin to develop or one starts crowing.

I've made the mistake of giving away a hen too early when I thought she was a rooster, so take your time to be sure.

Lady of McCamley

Thank you all for your input, I think I will just wait for a while- putting them out with the big girls as soon as I get a warm spell. still crossing my fingers for hens, but I have 3 more chicks that are about 6 weeks old so I should at least get a few hens out of the bunch. One more question for all o you, if my SLW turns out to be a rooster, would he be decent to eat when he gets a bit bigger- I've just got them eating layer feed so I don't know if I would need to switch him to a meat bird feed.

They both look like roosters to me. But I'd wait a few weeks and then post new photos, as some birds can be difficult to sex.

Both appear to be roosters. The Cochin has a large red comb for its age, and a tall stance. The Silver-Laced Wyandotte not only has a rather red comb, but also has white patches on its shoulders. Usually, white shoulder patches indicate a male.

Personally, I believe that the Cochin might still be a hen. It does have a red comb, but the body shape doesn't look too roosterish yet. Post more pictures in a couple weeks, and I'll give you anther opinion.

Both appear to be roosters. The Cochin has a large red comb for its age, and a tall stance. The Silver-Laced Wyandotte not only has a rather red comb, but also has white patches on its shoulders. Usually, white shoulder patches indicate a male.

Personally, I believe that the Cochin might still be a hen. It does have a red comb, but the body shape doesn't look too roosterish yet. Post more pictures in a couple weeks, and I'll give you anther opinion.
Thanks so much! I will definitely post again in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom