Can you tell me what breed these girls are?

Crystal101

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
I purchased these pullets from a store and the very nice person who waited on me didn't speak English, after looking at a bunch of pics, I think the dark ones may be a Polish cross and the formerly yellow now mostly white ones are possibly white rocks or Delaware or some kind of mix? They are about 5 weeks old... I'm just curious... if this pic is not clear enough just let me know! Thanks everyone!

95171_img_0923.jpg
]

Last edited:
Id' say the whites probably are NOT delawares, you'd be seeing the black hackle by now. you might have plymouth rocks and polish. can you call the store and ask what breeds they had?

I did call them
sad.png
and they had sold them all and said they may have been white rocks or buff brahmas and they didn't mention polish at all and those gals look European to me
wink.png

dang it do the meat breeds produce good eggs? The guy said I'd get lots of big eggs...

Last edited:
The white ones look to be Cornish crosses (meaties). They can lay eggs but you have to control their diet very carefully otherwise can have heart attacks or broken legs due to the chick growing so fast and the skeletal structure not being able to keep up.

The crested chicks look like Crevecoeurs. They'll be solid black chickens with black crests, beards, and muffs.

Those don't look like any of the pictures I've seen of meaties! They would be monsters by now if they were. Here is a pic of a 5-week Cornish X compared to a BO of the same age to get an idea of size: http://ebeyfarm.blogspot.com/2009/03/cornish-cross-vs-buff-orpington-at-5.html

Coloration
, comb, body shape all look like a white Rock to me.

And yeah, Polish or Crevecouer on the dark ones. I believe with those you can tell by the nostrils (Crevecouers have cavernous nostrils).

These are not Cornish Crosses, thank goodness for you! My friend makes me help her clean her Cornish Cross pens all the time, so I'm fairly familiar with those poor pathetic souls. The first clue that they aren't is that they are standing up. Cornish Crosses avoid standing as much as possible, and usually spend most of their time sitting and breathing like beached whales. They are also REALLY bad at feathering in well because they spend so much of their energy on getting bigger. You can have 6 to 8 week olds that have visibly bare skin on each side of the sprine.

That being said, I believe that your white birds are either a Leghorn cross (because of the white ears), or male red sex-links. If they're a Leghorn cross, you'll get hens that lay well.

I hope that helps!

Thanks and yeah I do feel better!! I want them good eggs!!
If this helps, they are really active and fly about and hold their own with the polish-ish hens who are thinner and wee bit taller, though they told me they were all the same age when I got them. They don't appear to eat any more or less then the rest the gang, tho they are plumper and much sweeter...one practically coos when you handle her...
On a side note they are all growing really fast and I asked my 4 yr old grandson to name some and he named all the dark ones Lightening McQueen and my granddaughter named all the light ones Princess P's and she will even tell you... in the coop all the princesses go on the right perch and McQueens go on the left, she has it all figured out at 3 yrs old!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom